Funeral Traditions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Funeral Traditions

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Mrs FredS went to a Hispanic Catholic funeral today. It's a very sad deal - the deceased was a young child. It was requested that the mourners wear white. *I'd never heard of such a thing. The google machine says it's a Buddhist thing so I'm wondering if Hispanics or Catholics choose white for a child? Anybody with insight on this? Or perhaps other traditions that American Christians might think outside the norm?

Mrs FredS said they had a 'Spanishy' guitar accompaniment to the Sanctus and communion hymn. She enjoyed that.

*I attended the funeral of a friend from Arkansas a couple years ago where his family asked folks to wear red/maroon because Wayne was a Razorbacks fan. I just couldn't do it. I came very close to wearing a Jayhawk shirt (Wayne and I always traded barbs about that) but in the end I wore my usual funeral suit.
Last edited by FredS on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Funeral Traditions

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm
Mrs FredS went to a Hispanic Catholic funeral today. It's a very sad deal - the deceased was a young child. It was requested that the mourners wear white. *I'd never heard of such a thing. The google machine says it's a Buddhist thing so I'm wondering if Hispanics or Catholics choose white for a child? Anybody with insight on this? Or perhaps other traditions that American Christians might think outside the norm?

Mrs FredS said they had a 'Spanishy' guitar accompaniment to the Sanctus and communion hymn. She enjoyed that.

*I attended the funeral of a friend from Arkansas a couple years ago where his family asked folks to wear read/maroon because Wayne was a Razorbacks fan. I just couldn't do it. I came very close to wearing a Jayhawk shirt (Wayne and I always traded barbs about that) but in the end I wore my usual funeral suit.
Fred, I dont know if that's a Hispanic tradition or not. My family always wore dark suits but never black unless our family was the one in mourning and I always joke that my mother is a shi'ite Catholic. But that's Italian culture. I'd assume German, Irish, and Greek Catholics have different traditions, let alone central and southern American Catholics. Might even be the belief that that child's soul, if under the Age of Reason, flew right off to heaven and there's no cause for sorrow. Beautiful thought.

Speaking of the Irish...I went to a wake once where the family got blitzed and propped up the corpse and stuck a lit cigarette in his mouth. Gave me the fantods, I can tell you.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:18 pm

For most cultures, white is the color of mourning while black is the color of celebration. Of course I have no idea why this particular family chose this.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Up until Queen Victoria's time both white and black were considered suitable for mourning clothes. IIRC Vickie wore black in mourning for her man Al, and set the fashion preference--- a profitable happenstance for the newfangled ready to wear clothing industry as people died quite a lot back then and without personal electronic devices to hold their attention, people presumably less distracted by Candy Crush and Alexa, got to know and care about friends and family enough to genuinely mourn their passing and pray for their souls at funerals ( instead of frying them, running what's left through a grinder and throwing the particulate out of an airplane---I regret having been in that Biz--- over a National Park, or lake, or the ocean) so there were lots of funerals to attend and lots of mourners to suit up.

Around my patch of world people name their low-rider Chevys after the deceased--- I wonder if they keep the cremains in the trunk?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm

*I attended the funeral of a friend from Arkansas a couple years ago where his family asked folks to wear read/maroon because Wayne was a Razorbacks fan. I just couldn't do it. I came very close to wearing a Jayhawk shirt (Wayne and I always traded barbs about that) but in the end I wore my usual funeral suit.
Hello.

I was introduced to Catholicism with people in the Southwestern US Hispanic view.

I am also a half baked eastern thoughts guy.

In Vietnamese style Buddhism, the color of death is Red.

You have to go north quite a bit before the color of death turns white.

I would think the white deals with the age of the deceased. She would have worn white at her baptism. Delicate. Laced. Innocent.

In Sacramental Christian thought, these simple physical textures are transcended by Christ to show His love for us, even as we despair. Especially as we grieve.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Even though I'm now Mennonite and no longer Quaker, I'd have a funeral resembling a Quaker one. In a Quaker one, people gather to sit in silence and then share memories/reflections on the person and any spiritual insights that may arise. The one change would be that I'd include readings of writings and scriptural passages as was as performing or playing recordings of several songs that reflect my spiritual outlook.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 pm

In Catholicism, white is the color of purity. We like to believe that a baptized child is not capable of sin, lives in a state of grace, and dies with the hope of resurrection.

When the children of a Hispanic parish receive their First Communion, the whole parish is a sea of white. Adults, kids, everyone.

One year in Madison, they all wore their First Communion regalia to our grand, public procession on Corpus Christi. I had never seen so many hundreds of people, all dressed in white. I was deeply impressed by the strength of their community.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 pm

The child was only a year old so I s'pect that - as suggested - the white attire was in respect to their innocence and purity.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe