Ghost stories

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Ghost stories

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Tell me yours!

In '83 I was drilling at Ft Huachuca AZ and was invited to a family reunion in Lawrence, MA schedule for the next week end. The cheapest flight I could find was a red-eye that eventually got me into Boston and then a rental car to Lawrence to the a pre-Revolutionary Colonial house belonging to an old, bachelor cousin where I'd be staying. I was exhausted from the trip, so tried to take a nap on the bed in the upstairs room I was provided.

I felt like someone was watching me and opened my eyes (I wasn't dreaming) and a small girl dressed in unusual (Colonial era?) clothes was standing at the foot board looking back at me.
My cousin was the only one who lived in the house so I assumed it was one of the neighborhood kids playing, yet her clothes did look so unusual and how she got to the second floor with my cousin knowing was odd---that old house had really creaky floors!
I said "Hello" and she vanished without saying a word.

I went downstairs where my cousin was reading his morning paper and he asked me if I had a nice nap.
I asked him about the young girl.

There wasn't one!
He also maintained that the old house, his childhood home, wasn't haunted.

Let's hear yours,
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Ghost stories

Post by John-Boy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm

So... I don't suppose anyone wants to hear about my old Dr. Grabow that I used to smoke Condor.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm
So... I don't suppose anyone wants to hear about my old Dr. Grabow that I used to smoke Condor.
I don't like horror stories.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:52 pm

One time, back in the 90's my dad was called up to Friendship, Maine for a job and like usual he drug me along to yet another town and another school.

Now everyone already thinks the new kid in school is a bit weird, but they were really freaked out when I told them that for the time being we were staying at Whipstaff Manor. Apparently everyone knew it to be a haunted house. Apparently they were right.

Insofar as I could tell, there were four ghosts, three of which were absolutely opposed to anyone taking up residence in the Manor, but there was one ghost who, I guess you could say was rather friendly. After I overcame my fear of him we actually became friends. Turns out his dad bought him a sled one year (when he was living) and he stayed out in the snow too long and died.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:52 pm
One time, back in the 90's my dad was called up to Friendship, Maine for a job and like usual he drug me along to yet another town and another school.

Now everyone already thinks the new kid in school is a bit weird, but they were really freaked out when I told them that for the time being we were staying at Whipstaff Manor. Apparently everyone knew it to be a haunted house. Apparently they were right.

Insofar as I could tell, there were four ghosts, three of which were absolutely opposed to anyone taking up residence in the Manor, but there was one ghost who, I guess you could say was rather friendly. After I overcame my fear of him we actually became friends. Turns out his dad bought him a sled one year (when he was living) and he stayed out in the snow too long and died.
Pft. Its been done.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm
I don't like horror stories.
More horrific still would be Mixture 79
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Where in the name of Sam Houston is, ID?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 pm

A Latakia ghost haunting a Cherry Aro is pretty grand stuff----or is it a Cherry Aro ghost haunting a Latakia?.
Its been so long I forgot,
Last edited by Hovannes on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm
Where in the name of Sam Houston is, ID?
Between WA and MT?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 am

I never saw her, but in our previous house, visiting relatives and others saw an older lady walking around. My wife and I heard footsteps around the house and in the attic on a frequent basis, to the point that one day my wife took my hand and we went from room to room and even into the attic, and demanded by the name of Jesus that any evil spirits leave our house. After that we never heard or saw another odd thing there.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:42 pm

I learned the other day that "ghost" is etymologically related to "breath", as is "spirit".

Apparently a lot of sacred or supernatural ideas or concepts are linked to breath or breathing.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 pm

My grandson won't sleep in one particular guest room at our house because he says it's haunted. I've never sensed a ghost before, but I believe that he believes it.

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 pm
My grandson won't sleep in one particular guest room at our house because he says it's haunted. I've never sensed a ghost before, but I believe that he believes it.
Best post today.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm

I wouldn't mind studying the folklore behind ghosts and hauntings sometime after hearing some of the stories above just to better understand what they implied or insinuated in the various cultural myths.
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:54 pm

The other night, I arose, pensive, from my bed. It was around 3:30 am and I felt as if something were just not right--you know the feeling--and I felt drawn to that corner of my living room. Yes, THAT corner; the one that made all the news a decade ago. <shudder> Even now, in the light of day, I feel the goose flesh crawl of dread across my nape. Still, I was compelled, as if commanded by some unseen yet irresistible power, to go there... closer.. to THAT corner.

We had all tried to forget what happened and why our house was such a good price. In fact, we have placed the Christmas tree in that corner with the hopes that the pervasive dread we all feel when looking there will be, in some small way, diminished--Lord knows that anyone with Google could never forget what happened there in THAT corner!

<shudder>

On such nights as the other night, when the moon is full and shining through the floor-length window on to the Christmas Tree...well it is enough to test the fiercest will to look even if one does not know what happened there--there in that thrice-damned corner--and yet one foot reluctantly dropped in front of the other. True, I proceeded slowly but still THAT corner came nearer and nearer, rocking first left and then right in my view as I shuffled nearer and closer to that site; THAT corner...

And then I smelt it!

Oh, the foul stench that bled through my constricting nares which closed in vain reflex to deny the deadly odor of past events in THAT corner! Would we ever be clean of it? Would we ever be free from that grim, olfactory phantom that so plagues our nights and twists our dreams? Who will bring the hyssop that can cleanse the fear, fog, and memory of THAT corner?

Still, closer I drew... nearer to the foul fumes...<squish!>

Damn dog.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, my wife apparently saw a ghost this week. Thursday afternoon to be exact, while we were visiting an old plantation house in Louisiana called Oak Alley. Long story, but she got pretty shook up. The employees in the house asked lots of questions, and when we asked if this had happened before they nodded and said yes but it's been a while. Lucky us, I said.
Now she's been googling ghosts and information on that plantation all weekend.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:51 pm

I believe I once had what I've heard called a "lucid dream" (where I woke up during the middle of the dream and it appeared to be as clear as day).

In the dream I saw a ghost which resembled a bearded man with some type of strange pet placing a crown on my head and disappearing - I'm not sure what the significance was, or if it was malevolent or not (it didn't seem outright "bad" or "good", just very odd).

But either way, it was definitely far out, man.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up. - ryland