Happy

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Happy

Post by Fainn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Since breaking up with Messianic Judaism, I hav er been happier than I've been in years.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Happy

Post by coco » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm

:D :D :D
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm
:D :D :D
+ :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 pm
Since breaking up with Messianic Judaism, I hav er been happier than I've been in years.

I became acquainted with a lady, a Sephardic (Spanish) Jew who was Messianic. I got the impression she was not very confident about her salvation.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 am

Pietism... ugh. Glad to hear you've been liberated from that, Fainn.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am
Fainn wrote:

I became acquainted with a lady, a Sephardic (Spanish) Jew who was Messianic. I got the impression she was not very confident about her salvation.
My prayer for Fainn is that he will be released from the feelings of guilt and uncertain salvation as he discovers new revaluation in his new church home. You're still carrying the feeling that God is punishing you for past sins. While it's certainly true that we carry the scars of our past, the punishment has been laid at the foot of the cross. It's done Fainn. Over. Paid in full. Go forward with the full knowledge that you are His child and every day is a new opportunity to be better than yesterday. You won't always be happy - the 'new' will wear off a little - but you should always have certainty that He won't abandon you.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:23 am

I’ve left churches a few times, I can relate.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

My prayer for Fainn is that he will be released from the feelings of guilt and uncertain salvation as he discovers new revaluation in his new church home. You're still carrying the feeling that God is punishing you for past sins. While it's certainly true that we carry the scars of our past, the punishment has been laid at the foot of the cross. It's done Fainn. Over. Paid in full. Go forward with the full knowledge that you are His child and every day is a new opportunity to be better than yesterday. You won't always be happy - the 'new' will wear off a little - but you should always have certainty that He won't abandon you.
Yeah, I know the honeymoon period will be over at some point.
Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

No church is perfect. There are some real doctrinal issues I have with evangelical Christianity. One of them, the compulsive insistence upon seeing "hell" as literal eternal conscious torment. This is not trustworthy biblical hermeneutics, for there is much in scripture that shows the wicked will cease to exist.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 am

Adam Z wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 am
How do you define Pietism just for the record? I did a quick Google and didn't find a workable term.
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

No church is perfect. There are some real doctrinal issues I have with evangelical Christianity. One of them, the compulsive insistence upon seeing "hell" as literal eternal conscious torment. This is not trustworthy biblical hermeneutics, for there is much in scripture that shows the wicked will cease to exist.
I'd argue it's more nuanced than that.

However, when one actually defines "torment" or "torture", the word actually relates to "tort", as in the legal sense. So it implies a loss of something one possesses.

In that sense, torture is simply the natural consequence and end of being wicked to begin with, and wishing to hold onto or "grasp" something which isn't theirs, such as in the cases of various vices such as greed and lust which lead to misery.

When something burns, its structure breaks apart, and it loses its form, or parts which it possessed - so torture by fire would really be akin to a loss on a material level - which implies to me that the pain in question even in that scenario would be the natural result of materialistic desires and vices which lead to valuing those things over God to begin with.

So ultimately, if one was tortured for eternity, I would view it as their choice in the matter, and the result of their materialism, and something which could have been avoided had one chosen differently.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:43 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 am
Adam Z wrote:
How do you define Pietism just for the record? I did a quick Google and didn't find a workable term.
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

However, when one actually defines "torment" or "torture", the word actually relates to "tort", as in the legal sense. So it implies a loss of something one possesses.

In that sense, torture is simply the natural consequence and end of being wicked to begin with, and wishing to hold onto or "grasp" something which isn't theirs, such as in the cases of various vices such as greed and lust which lead to misery.

When something burns, its structure breaks apart, and it loses its form, or parts which it possessed - so torture by fire would really be akin to a loss on a material level - which implies to me that the pain in question even in that scenario would be the natural result of materialistic desires and vices which lead to valuing those things over God to begin with.

So ultimately, if one was tortured for eternity, I would view it as their choice in the matter, and the result of their materialism, and something which could have been avoided had one chosen differently.
Thread name: Happy. Forum: testimonies.

Why you poop on happy testimonies??
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am

I hope you're enjoying the advent season with your new congregation Fainn. Perhaps even celebrating the season with a renewed sense of wonder as we await the coming of the Christ.

That this is your babies first Christmas also must bring a new sense of joy that you may not have felt for a while.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:43 am
Nature of a Man wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 am
hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

How about a compromise? Happy poop! :poop:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Pietism is an ideology that is preoccupied with piety. It is that approach to Christianity that is preoccupied with the interior of the Christian life. Should is pietism's main focus. It is about what we should be doing, and how we should go about doing it and where we should be as compared to where we are. Pietism specializes in pointing out the exact distance between should and am. The issue with pietism is not only what it emphasizes, but also what it minimizes. The concern is that Christ's work stands more in the background than in the foreground (Colossians 2:20-23). Most information and instruction within pietism is aimed at how to live. Duty overshadows identity. Pietism begins with the question "What must I do?" Thus, obligation precedes assurance, and this order of priorities leads to a confusion of theological categories and despair in the life of the believer.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Fainn wrote:
Since breaking up with Messianic Judaism, I have been happier than I've been in years.

Your shared expression of joy bears repeating, Fainn.
It was a gift to all of us.

A truly heartfelt, thank you.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Rejoice in it!
Wallow in it!

As for the matters of doctrine that are difficult, sometimes I have to remind myself: although there is a great deal I do not know, by far the most important things I do know. God loves me. My debt is paid.

I don’t need to understand the finer points of doctrine, root words in Greek or Hebrew, the techniques of translation or exegesis or hermeneutics ... to know this. I live in gratitude for that which I know, not in despair over what I do not (which is a LOT).

God loves me.
My debt is paid.

It’s fun to think about and discuss theology. But whenever it becomes a distraction, I go there.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Pietism is an ideology that is preoccupied with piety. It is that approach to Christianity that is preoccupied with the interior of the Christian life. Should is pietism's main focus. It is about what we should be doing, and how we should go about doing it and where we should be as compared to where we are. Pietism specializes in pointing out the exact distance between should and am. The issue with pietism is not only what it emphasizes, but also what it minimizes. The concern is that Christ's work stands more in the background than in the foreground (Colossians 2:20-23). Most information and instruction within pietism is aimed at how to live. Duty overshadows identity. Pietism begins with the question "What must I do?" Thus, obligation precedes assurance, and this order of priorities leads to a confusion of theological categories and despair in the life of the believer.
Ah, so something similar to a "salvation through works" worldview?

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

I believe that "eternal torment" is a legitimate concept, but that it's the result of the way one chooses to live - so that's the happy part, people have the ability to choose to "succeed or fail" by virtue of their actions.

Bobm5586
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Bobm5586 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Eternal torment is a result of not accepting Christ payment for our sin on the cross.
Read his word to us, keep in prayer, repent, and surrender your life to him.
Religion itself doesn't save

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 am

Bobm5586 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm
Eternal torment is a result of not accepting Christ payment for our sin on the cross.
Read his word to us, keep in prayer, repent, and surrender your life to him.
Religion itself doesn't save
I think I will take his advice and return to the happy note, instead of discuss this tangent deeper here.