Wine conoisseurs

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Wine conoisseurs

Post by Nature of a Man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 am

I was curious if any of the fellows here had an opinion on wine. (Thus far, I've valued the opinions of the fellows who know more about tobacco than me.)

I'm not a huge wine drinker, but the other day I tried a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, and found it pretty satisfying (though I'm usually a fan of dry white wines). If any others have an opinion one wine (or other alcoholic beverage in general, since I'm far from a connoisseur or anyone to talk about it), i'd love to hear it.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9661
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 am

I mostly stick with reds from either California, Chile or France. Whites from Texas and Germany aren't bad though. I enjoy cooking with wine almost as much as sipping on them. I'm not a "conoisseur", as you put it in your title. But I enjoy them, and try to imagine what Jesus' homemade wine at Cana tasted like. And His bread as well. Homemade bread, sharp aged cheese, and a sturdy flavorful wine.

BTW, do you work an all night shift somewhere?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23931
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

I am supposed to drink two glasses of red wine a day.
Doctor's orders.
I like my doctor.

The fun thing is finding wines you enjoy drinking.
Going to---or hosting your own---wine tastings can be a lot of fun and educational.

As far as recommendations, how much you want to spend?

A modestly priced red you can find at Costco is Apothic Red, which is Gallo (don't let that put you off though!)
An excellent red jug wine is A. Nonini Claret which is good accompaniment with Basque fare.
An interesting supermarket wine is Root and Vine (Gallo again) from Sprouts markets.

Higher dollar California wineries you may want to explore are Tobin James, J. Lohr, Justin, Opolo, etc...
Hahn Merlot is a picnic tradition around here with dry Jack cheese, crusty sourdough and the local salami.

If you're seeking imports, Barbaresco ( Italy) and Louis Latour (France) Beaujolais villages are, I find, delicious.

Cheers!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14806
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

As far as recommendations, how much you want to spend?
This is the thing that I don't like about wine drinking (and some beer and spirits). The price issue always seems to come up.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13209
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by tuttle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

As far as recommendations, how much you want to spend?
This is the thing that I don't like about wine drinking (and some beer and spirits). The price issue always seems to come up.
If you're not snobby about it, Trader Joe's is your friend. Two (or in my case Three) Buck Chuck is a no-brainer. You'll not like all of them, but I bet there's at least one that'll do the trick. The best in taste for me is their Chardonnay. But their 'cheap' selections go beyond 2 Buck Chuck with wines from all over the world. I bet you could try a ton of different wines for less than $6, and by then I bet you'd find one or two that are worth buying again. Only problem for me is that the only TJ around here is a bit of a jaunt, so if we hit it I'll likely load up.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13209
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by tuttle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 am

Missouri actually has a rich history in wine. Before Prohibition Missouri was the second largest wine producing state. Beyond that, the world owes a bit of debt to Missouri for French wine. When there was a pest destroying vines in France, resistant rootstocks from Missouri were sent to France and essentially saved the French wine industry.

As it is, Missouri wines are pretty solid on the whole, though you'll probably find wine from other regions that out do them in your traditional varieties. That said, Missouri specializes in their local grape varieties and that's where they shine. Everyone raves about Norton, but I'm kind of eh about it. But for my money the best wine Missouri produces is Vignoles. In fact it's my favorite white wine all around hands down.

From what I've gathered the grape grows in an area in New York and most Midwest states. I'm not sure how available it is outside of those areas.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by JimVH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 am

Image

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14806
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

As far as recommendations, how much you want to spend?
This is the thing that I don't like about wine drinking (and some beer and spirits). The price issue always seems to come up.
If you're not snobby about it, Trader Joe's is your friend. Two (or in my case Three) Buck Chuck is a no-brainer. You'll not like all of them, but I bet there's at least one that'll do the trick. The best in taste for me is their Chardonnay. But their 'cheap' selections go beyond 2 Buck Chuck with wines from all over the world. I bet you could try a ton of different wines for less than $6, and by then I bet you'd find one or two that are worth buying again. Only problem for me is that the only TJ around here is a bit of a jaunt, so if we hit it I'll likely load up.
Good advice. I just don't like when the discussion inevitably goes down the "you get what you pay for" road. I know that is not always true, and with wine especially so.

So, NOM, take tuttle's advice and hit up Trader Joe's. Go from there.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21889
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Thunktank » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

As far as recommendations, how much you want to spend?
This is the thing that I don't like about wine drinking (and some beer and spirits). The price issue always seems to come up.
If you're not snobby about it, Trader Joe's is your friend. Two (or in my case Three) Buck Chuck is a no-brainer. You'll not like all of them, but I bet there's at least one that'll do the trick. The best in taste for me is their Chardonnay. But their 'cheap' selections go beyond 2 Buck Chuck with wines from all over the world. I bet you could try a ton of different wines for less than $6, and by then I bet you'd find one or two that are worth buying again. Only problem for me is that the only TJ around here is a bit of a jaunt, so if we hit it I'll likely load up.
Good advice. I just don't like when the discussion inevitably goes down the "you get what you pay for" road. I know that is not always true, and with wine especially so.

So, NOM, take tuttle's advice and hit up Trader Joe's. Go from there.
I agree, though I believe really good wine is found in the $6 - $10 range consistently. There are enough two and three buck chuck wines that will end up being chucked. Why go that route. If one drinks a glass or two a day, most folks can afford $6 bottles and it will get drunk. :)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23931
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

I only brought up cost because prices are all over the chart. There are plenty of fine, tasty wines in the $6-10 range and some surprises in the $4-5 range. OTOH there are some much more expensive wines I find less than desirable, if not undrinkable. It all comes down to personal taste. Just as some jug wines are quite nice, others can be downright bad. My earlier post provided a good variety of Hov approved stuff :D
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13209
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by tuttle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am
I only brought up cost because prices are all over the chart. There are plenty of fine, tasty wines in the $6-10 range and some surprises in the $4-5 range. OTOH there are some much more expensive wines I find less than desirable, if not undrinkable. It all comes down to personal taste. Just as some jug wines are quite nice, others can be downright bad. My earlier post provided a good variety of Hov approved stuff :D
Yeah, with both wine and cigars, there seems to be a huge range in price vs what actually tastes good. Right or wrong, I expect more out of the more expensive products, mostly because many of the less expensive products I've consumed have fit the bill quite nicely. Almost every expensive wine/cigar I've tasted could easily be rivaled if not outright replaced with a better value.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23931
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am
I only brought up cost because prices are all over the chart. There are plenty of fine, tasty wines in the $6-10 range and some surprises in the $4-5 range. OTOH there are some much more expensive wines I find less than desirable, if not undrinkable. It all comes down to personal taste. Just as some jug wines are quite nice, others can be downright bad. My earlier post provided a good variety of Hov approved stuff :D
Yeah, with both wine and cigars, there seems to be a huge range in price vs what actually tastes good. Right or wrong, I expect more out of the more expensive products, mostly because many of the less expensive products I've consumed have fit the bill quite nicely. Almost every expensive wine/cigar I've tasted could easily be rivaled if not outright replaced with a better value.
That's all part of the fun!
Expensive wines can be very good though. All depending on taste, but thankfully wine snobbery isn't the issue it used to be.
For me, a glass (well, two glasses) of wine that actually tastes good is what I desire. Everything else is details.
Pairing a wine with food is another matter if guests are coming over---what I like, my guests may not.
Fortunately there are some safe bets. Cabs tend to go well with steak, a Chardonnay with fish, Chianti with pasta, etc...but in your wine tasting journey you'll probably come up with different suggestions. It's all part of the fun!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13209
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by tuttle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm
tuttle wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am
I only brought up cost because prices are all over the chart. There are plenty of fine, tasty wines in the $6-10 range and some surprises in the $4-5 range. OTOH there are some much more expensive wines I find less than desirable, if not undrinkable. It all comes down to personal taste. Just as some jug wines are quite nice, others can be downright bad. My earlier post provided a good variety of Hov approved stuff :D
Yeah, with both wine and cigars, there seems to be a huge range in price vs what actually tastes good. Right or wrong, I expect more out of the more expensive products, mostly because many of the less expensive products I've consumed have fit the bill quite nicely. Almost every expensive wine/cigar I've tasted could easily be rivaled if not outright replaced with a better value.
That's all part of the fun!
Expensive wines can be very good though. All depending on taste, but thankfully wine snobbery isn't the issue it used to be.
For me, a glass (well, two glasses) of wine that actually tastes good is what I desire. Everything else is details.
Pairing a wine with food is another matter if guests are coming over---what I like, my guests may not.
Fortunately there are some safe bets. Cabs tend to go well with steak, a Chardonnay with fish, Chianti with pasta, etc...but in your wine tasting journey you'll probably come up with different suggestions. It's all part of the fun!
Yeah I wasn't trying to say expensive wine/cigars aren't good. But I'm with you; taste is king, the rest is details.

I typically use an informal scale pairing wine with the shade of the food. Darker/Lighter food = red-er/whiter wine. Works in a pinch. Although the usual way of pairing food with wine has been whatever wine is open is paired with whatever food is made that night.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23931
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 pm

A few more observations:

A bargain wine in your state may be quite costly in another state and I've found the opposite true as well.
Why? I don't know!

A given variety may fall out of style with snob critics ( take Merlot for example.)
When a variety is slighted, or ignored by critics, the snowflakes will run away!
When reputable, high quality wineries over produce those varieties and the market isn't there, they sometimes bottle the surplus using strange labels and sell it in discount markets for a pittance to recoup the loss.
This results in people who get their kicks tracking down weird labels on shockingly under priced wines.
Knowing the manager of the liquor dept, helps.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37692
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Del » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm

There is a flavor note called astringent. A person likes it, or he don't. But it's good to know about.

People who like astringency tend to favor....
- Black coffee
- Dark Chocolate
- Red wines
- dark beer
- Oriental pipe tobacco.

People who don't like astringency tend to favor....
- Cream in coffee
- Milk chocolate
- White wines
- light-colored beer

If you commit this list to heart, you can help a new wine drinker pick something that she will like by asking how she enjoys her coffee and chocolate. An impressive skill, at times!


As for wine.... I like red wines. I favor merlot, whenever I can get it. I don't see the appeal of cabernet-sauvignon.

I like the flavor of shiraz (syrah) wines, but the ones from Australia have too much sulfite for me. My sinuses swell and close up uncomfortably. Sometimes have that problem from Chilean shiraz as well.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23931
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Having a real live independent liquor store is the best! We had one and the owner was an expert on wines. When the future Mrs Hov invited me over for dinner I consulted with Mr Thomas on which wine to take, and the rest, as they say, is History :wink:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32991
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by John-Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:32 pm

People who like astringency tend to favor....
- Black coffee - It's okay. I'll drink espresso black, but usually I add cream to regular coffee
- Dark Chocolate - yum
- Red wines - pretty good
- dark beer - yum
- Oriental pipe tobacco. - pretty good

People who don't like astringency tend to favor....
- Cream in coffee - yum
- Milk chocolate - it's okay
- White wines - pretty good
- light-colored beer - yum
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21419
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by FredS » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Not all states allow wine sales in grocery stores so inexpensive hooch from TJ's, Sprouts, or Sam's isn't an option for all of us.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15930
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by gaining_age » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm
Not all states allow wine sales in grocery stores so inexpensive hooch from TJ's, Sprouts, or Sam's isn't an option for all of us.
In other states you can even find Everclear at the grocery store.

Viva la state's rights!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14806
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Wine conoisseurs

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm
There is a flavor note called astringent. A person likes it, or he don't. But it's good to know about.

People who like astringency tend to favor....
- Black coffee
- Dark Chocolate
- Red wines
- dark beer
- Oriental pipe tobacco.

People who don't like astringency tend to favor....
- Cream in coffee
- Milk chocolate
- White wines
- light-colored beer

If you commit this list to heart, you can help a new wine drinker pick something that she will like by asking how she enjoys her coffee and chocolate. An impressive skill, at times!


As for wine.... I like red wines. I favor merlot, whenever I can get it. I don't see the appeal of cabernet-sauvignon.

I like the flavor of shiraz (syrah) wines, but the ones from Australia have too much sulfite for me. My sinuses swell and close up uncomfortably. Sometimes have that problem from Chilean shiraz as well.
Thank you. This is a good reference.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Post Reply