Review - G.L. Pease Laurel Heights - 10 yr old

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Review - G.L. Pease Laurel Heights - 10 yr old

Post by Steverino » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 pm

I bought this tin on ebay several years ago and have been letting it sit on the shelf. I wasn’t necessarily trying to achieve the 10-year mark but that’s what it ended up being when I opened it. I picked it up and looked at it a few days ago and noticed that the tin was bulging a little, so it seemed like a good time to see what was inside.

The smell was pungent. I call it the “stewed fruit” smell. I’m pretty sure I’ve never eaten stewed fruit but I’ve been around it a few times. The tobacco felt like what seems to me to be the ideal moisture level for smoking so I put some of it into a Peterson Killarney XL90 and ignited it. It lit up just fine.

The taste was quite good. As I always do when I smoke a tobacco with some age on it, I wished I had a fresh tin with which to compare it. When I have been able to do this, I usually haven’t noticed a lot of difference between fresh and aged. (I did this with some Stratford recently, eight years versus fresh, and there was very little difference.) In order to give you an idea about how it smoked/tasted, I’ll compare my results with the tin description:

“Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavors are deep and round, with a smooth, natural sweetness, and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses, delivering a long, clean finish that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.”

As will be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer, I’m not a sophisticated reviewer. I don’t attempt to compare tobacco to fine food or drink as I’m strictly a meat and potatoes man; however, I know what things taste like to me, so I’ll give you the best description I can within my own limitations.

I don’t know exactly what “rich” means in this context, but the tobacco definitely tastes ripe and tastes like red Virginia. Mr. Pease calls the blend “wonderful” and, while not given to exaggeration, I tend to agree. I don’t have a frame of reference for “deep and round”, but it is a mostly smooth blend (little bite and no harshness) and has a marked sweetness. In fact, it’s about as sweet as any Virginia I’ve smoked, and that’s right many. Maybe close to Uni0n Square in this respect. I don’t necessarily notice orange peel, but I do notice a “generic” citrus flavor, which I like. I’ve never eaten roasted oats so can’t compare that to anything. I do remember chewing on some leather straps when I was around three years old, so I get that flavor. It sounds a little bit like he’s implying that there is some latakia in this blend but if so, I don’t taste it. As for peat, the only peat I know about is peat moss and I’ve never sampled that, so I’m out on that one too. I don’t know that I would say that the smoke develops richness as it progresses. It seems to stay about the same to me throughout the smoke, but don't take that to mean that it's a one-note tobacco. There is definitely an interchange of flavors that takes place throughout the bowl. If I have any handle at all on what richness means, this smoke does have some. So what is a long, clean finish? That would seem to mean that the tobacco doesn’t turn harsh or bitter. This is true. It smokes about the same all the way through with respect to the overall feel of the smoke. I am in agreement with Mr. Pease in that “Cloying and syrupy” are not words I’d use to describe this tobacco. The sweetness is at the right level for me. “Malt and grapefruit” are not good descriptors for me either, as I have no idea what malt tastes like, unless it’s like malted milk balls, but I figure that’s not it. I’ve never eaten a whole grapefruit, but I know what it tastes like (which is why I’ve never eaten a whole one) and I don’t notice anything like that in the tobacco. As for the last sentence, if this tobacco is a “darker, natural, unstoved” Virginia, then I’m a lover of it. Well, that may be going a little too far, but it’s definitely a good tobacco. I hope to get a fresh tin sometime and see what it’s like.

For those who are interested in such things, the nicotine level is what I would call medium. This probably varies with the individual, but it’s definitely not a lightweight or a heavyweight in that department. As for the cut of the tobacco, you’ve heard of a broken flake, right? I would call this a “broken shag”. The pieces are very small and look like they might have come from a very narrow ribbon or shag cut that was further cut up into short pieces, from maybe an eighth inch to a half inch. About as easy to stuff into a pipe as anything I’ve seen but also might be easy to pack too hard. A little experience and care will ensure good results.

Let me reiterate that the tobacco I reviewed is 10 years in the tin. The impressions I related above may or may not be like what you get from a fresh tin, but, to be sure, there will be a lot of similarity. If you try it, or if it is already a part of your tobacco repertoire, I would be interested in hearing your impressions.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Review - G.L. Pease Laurel Heights - 10 yr old

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 am

Excellent review, thanks. I think I also have a tin on the shelf that's bulging, in fact.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 am

GLP Laurel Heights was one of Pease's blends that Rusty recommended to me. Nice in-depth review, Steve.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 am

Great review, thank you!!!

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I hope the review will lead to enjoyment.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 am

I really like the way you went through the description and described what you tasted. I understood it better than when someone tells me all the fancy things they taste in a tobacco that my tongue can't decipher. Really helpful, thank you.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 am

Excellent review. Thanks, Steve.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50