In His Image

For those deep thinkers out there.
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

In His Image

Post by Fainn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:07 am

What does that mean?
I always thought it meant freewill, the ability to choose right or wrong, things of the spirit. Some believe that it means God looks very much like us.
It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: In His Image

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:07 am
What does that mean?
I always thought it meant freewill, the ability to choose right or wrong, things of the spirit. Some believe that it means God looks very much like us.
This verse comes to mind....

1 John 3:2 King James Version (KJV)

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Dear Fainn, I think John Paul II has opened a door for a better understanding of this topic. If you want to look at it from his perspective, I can recommend you to do some reading on "communio personarum" or the "community of persons".

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 pm

IMO, being made in His Image is what gives us our superior creative, relational, and dominative attributes. We are, in a way, "little gods" and the crowning achievement of God's creation.

Animals don't have that. That's why we can eat them!
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH