The New 777X. If It Isn't Boeing, I'm Not Going

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Re: The New 777X. If It Isn't Boeing, I'm Not Going

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 am
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am
jruegg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:09 am
Hope large flocks of birds isn't a problem getting sucked into these huge engines.
Part of testing at Peebles facility is they'll shoot birds at the engines. It's pretty cool.
And just how would they do that?
Oh, man, I just Googled it and learned. Great articles and interesting videos. Really worth it! :D
Naw. Fake news.
Nope. On this you’re dead wrong. There is a bird gun. There are videos. There are articles. But in your ignorance and sloth and arrogance, you will never learn of them. You’re deluded enough without me trying to trick you into anything, my friend. I never Rick roll.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:08 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Hope large flocks of birds isn't a problem getting sucked into these huge engines.
Part of testing at Peebles facility is they'll shoot birds at the engines. It's pretty cool.
Oh, man, I just Googled it and learned. Great articles and interesting videos. Really worth it! :D
Naw. Fake news.
Nope. On this you’re dead wrong. There is a bird gun. There are videos. There are articles. But in your ignorance and sloth and arrogance, you will never learn of them. You’re deluded enough without me trying to trick you into anything, my friend. I never Rick roll.
You say all that and then still call me your friend. I don't know that I'll ever come to understand you.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Naw. Fake news.
You say all that and then still call me your friend. I don't know that I'll ever come to understand you.
Probably not. It would take some self-realization to get that you arrogantly assuming I'd make up a story to waste your time might not result in the Kiss of Peace. I have better things to do than that, brother. Once I learned about it, I thought you'd be interested.

I really hope you've googled it. I spent an afternoon in one big holding pattern and survived by watching the videos and reading about it. I'd never heard of it, either.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Naw. Fake news.
Probably not. It would take some self-realization to get that you arrogantly assuming I'd make up a story to waste your time might not result in the Kiss of Peace. I have better things to do than that, brother. Once I learned about it, I thought you'd be interested.

I really hope you've googled it. I spent an afternoon in one big holding pattern and survived by watching the videos and reading about it. I'd never heard of it, either.
What you're sayin' is I should go to the library myself to look it up when you had the library book in hand and didn't show it to me. You are a piece of work, Drax.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:20 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
jruegg wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Naw. Fake news.

What you're sayin' is I should go to the library myself to look it up when you had the library book in hand and didn't show it to me. You are a piece of work, Drax.
Um, no, actually I'm not saying that at all. You make a lot of assumptions. You could try taking me at my word, you know. It's possible that I can't exactly post links in a courtroom when I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm on my phone at all by operating it with one hand under the counsel table. You're a good dude, but I'm not paying a fine for you. Saying I hoped you'd googled it had nothing to do with keeping information away from you. I genuinely thought you'd enjoy watching "flocking fowl" get propelled from a cannon into the turbine. I sincerely wish you joy and happiness.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
jruegg wrote:

Naw. Fake news.

Um, no, actually I'm not saying that at all. You make a lot of assumptions. You could try taking me at my word, you know. It's possible that I can't exactly post links in a courtroom when I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm on my phone at all by operating it with one hand under the counsel table. You're a good dude, but I'm not paying a fine for you. Saying I hoped you'd googled it had nothing to do with keeping information away from you. I genuinely thought you'd enjoy watching "flocking fowl" get propelled from a cannon into the turbine. I sincerely wish you joy and happiness.
This seems a perfect time to insert the classic joke:
The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane’s windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn’t crack from the carcass impact, it’ll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they’re developing.

They borrowed FAA’s chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer’s chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine’s cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation:

“Use a thawed chicken.”
Oh, and for the record, the chicken cannon is a real thing. Here's the Wikipedia article on them.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Naw. Fake news.

The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane’s windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn’t crack from the carcass impact, it’ll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they’re developing.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer’s chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine’s cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

“Use a thawed chicken.”
Oh, and for the record, the chicken cannon is a real thing. Here's the Wikipedia article on them.
Good one. I chuckled.

And I googled the peebles facility bird cannon. Neat o. Though I did lose interest before I found cool videos.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 am
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Naw. Fake news.

“Use a thawed chicken.”
Good one. I chuckled.

And I googled the peebles facility bird cannon. Neat o. Though I did lose interest before I found cool videos.
How’d you do that? On my google searches, shopping and videos come at the top, before the articles. Is there a way to change that?

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 am
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 am
Sir Moose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Naw. Fake news.

“Use a thawed chicken.”
Good one. I chuckled.

How’d you do that? On my google searches, shopping and videos come at the top, before the articles. Is there a way to change that?
Uh... I just clicked on the first link. Looked at some stuff. Then was like, "Yeah. Cool." Then moved on.
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I wonder why aeronautic engineers can't come up with a bird deflecting device that could be attached to the body of the engine, in front of the turbines

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm
I wonder why aeronautic engineers can't come up with a bird deflecting device that could be attached to the body of the engine, in front of the turbines
Something like this, but for planes:
Praying - coco

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
At some time within the last five or ten years, western Pennsylvania drivers forgot to get out of the way of emergency vehicles and funeral processions. I've been advocating for cow catchers for years

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:29 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Yeah. Seems to me that such an attachment would solve the problem.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:29 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Yeah. Seems to me that such an attachment would solve the problem.
turbines' job is to cram 100 tons of air into a 10oz space. I'm not an engineer, but I assume that putting anything in front of the engine will impede that process.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

Bird strike... Never a good thing to hear from the mechanics. Even a sparrow can ground a plane if it hits the right spot.
With the modern high bypass turbo fan engines one going into the engine is less of a show stopper. If it doesn't go in the core, we normally just have to clean the "snarge" (that's the term, look it up if you doubt me) off the blades and fan case and maybe blend a minor ding in the blade. Core injestion means an internal borescope with a piece of equipment that is far too expensive to keep at every station. Those normally come back clean though. The hundreds of blades spinning 4000ish rpm at the fan as as much as 11000ish inside have a way of making roast birdy patte in the blink of an eye.
The 777 is an amazing plane. They were designed with maintenance in mind. When maintenance is easier, it is cheaper to do and maintenance delays are cut. This is a great thing for airlines. I hope that Amazon looks into using them as frieghters now that passenger airlines are beginning to retire them. At this point, looks like we'll just be adding on 767-300's as fast as doors can be cut in them.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am
Bird strike... Never a good thing to hear from the mechanics. Even a sparrow can ground a plane if it hits the right spot.
With the modern high bypass turbo fan engines one going into the engine is less of a show stopper. If it doesn't go in the core, we normally just have to clean the "snarge" (that's the term, look it up if you doubt me) off the blades and fan case and maybe blend a minor ding in the blade. Core injestion means an internal borescope with a piece of equipment that is far too expensive to keep at every station. Those normally come back clean though. The hundreds of blades spinning 4000ish rpm at the fan as as much as 11000ish inside have a way of making roast birdy patte in the blink of an eye.
The 777 is an amazing plane. They were designed with maintenance in mind. When maintenance is easier, it is cheaper to do and maintenance delays are cut. This is a great thing for airlines. I hope that Amazon looks into using them as frieghters now that passenger airlines are beginning to retire them. At this point, looks like we'll just be adding on 767-300's as fast as doors can be cut in them.
I love that CPS has an expert on almost everything among its membership.

I am also pledge to use the word snarge as often as possible this week.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 am
joegoat wrote:

Yes CPS is, among other things, a valuable resource. I too am going to find a way to work snarge into a conversation.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Yes CPS is, among other things, a valuable resource. I too am going to find a way to work snarge into a conversation.
I also going to work on grammar.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

I also going to work on grammar.
Ley me know if help you need any.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 am

Wasn't this on the tv show mythbusters like over 15 years ago?

#commonknowledge
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS