Study the Bible Through 2019

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
Post Reply
User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 am

I'm attempting again to read the Bible through in the course of a year. No gimicks or special written-like-a-novel Bible or unique plan. I'm reading an ESV Reformation Study Bible, and simply started at Genesis 1:1, taking in footnotes and comment sections, so it's more like "study the Bible through". I may skip to resurrection parts of the New testament for Easter, and Christmas parts after Thanksgiving, etc. But I plan to finish up with Revelation in December to the end of the year.
If I finish it up accordingly, it'll be the first time I've ever done it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 am

I'm currently in Deuteronomy 27. I read Deut 25:11-12 to my wife and she didn't care too much for that law. I don't either, actually.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to speed things up as I get to more familiar OT books.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 am

I'm in the book of Judges now. 1st chapter.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 am
I'm currently in Deuteronomy 27. I read Deut 25:11-12 to my wife and she didn't care too much for that law. I don't either, actually.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to speed things up as I get to more familiar OT books.
I had to look up this passage. At first I thought it was kind of ambiguous. If she grabs the assailant or the husband? Then I figured it didn't really matter in either case.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 am
I'm currently in Deuteronomy 27. I read Deut 25:11-12 to my wife and she didn't care too much for that law. I don't either, actually.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to speed things up as I get to more familiar OT books.
I had to look up this passage. At first I thought it was kind of ambiguous. If she grabs the assailant or the husband? Then I figured it didn't really matter in either case.
This is one of those passages that could easily fit into the on-going "literal" thread. Would a woman's hand really be "severed"? Many scholars say no, that's not the case.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:31 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 am
I'm currently in Deuteronomy 27. I read Deut 25:11-12 to my wife and she didn't care too much for that law. I don't either, actually.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to speed things up as I get to more familiar OT books.
I had to look up this passage. At first I thought it was kind of ambiguous. If she grabs the assailant or the husband? Then I figured it didn't really matter in either case.
This is one of those passages that could easily fit into the on-going "literal" thread. Would a woman's hand really be "severed"? Many scholars say no, that's not the case.
Maybe. I wonder how many times this actually occurred or how many times it was carried out? I hope none. I wonder what an exactly translation from Hebrew says? The Bible is fascinating isn't it. I've only read the Message Bible cover to cover. That probably doesn't count and I remember almost none of it. I respect your goal. Seriously.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 am

I'm now in 2 Samuel, 2nd chapter. Judges and 1st Samuel are two bloody books, but very moving, and contemplative.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 am

Still in 2 Samuel. This is a very emotional book of the Bible.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am

I'm now in the book of Ezra. I paused to think yesterday, how many whiskey or Bourbon brands use old testament names.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13865
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by tuttle » Thu May 30, 2019 9:22 am

A good follow up book after a read through of the OT would be "Dominion and Dynasty" by Stephen Dempster. He does an excellent job revealing Christ throughout the OT.

On a related note, I'm going to try a summer read-through of the New Testament.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10433
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Study the Bible Through 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:22 am
A good follow up book after a read through of the OT would be "Dominion and Dynasty" by Stephen Dempster. He does an excellent job revealing Christ throughout the OT.

On a related note, I'm going to try a summer read-through of the New Testament.
Thanks, I'll order a copy.

BTW, I'm now in Psalms, and I can think of no better summertime reading. The timing is perfect.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Post Reply