Star Wars 9

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Re: Star Wars 9

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:40 am

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm
Han shot first.
Be like Han.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Remember Sideache? He does licensed art for Star Wars and he's at some sort of geekfest this week selling his wares and he posted about the trailer being presented there. Said the place went bonkers.
I miss Sideache.

He made one of the funniest posts to CPS ever once.
Skip is there. Posted pics of Cliff packaging a print for him and such. Quite jealous.
Sola Deo Gloria

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:09 pm

I grew up on episodes IV, V, and VI. Every time we rented movies from the movie rental shop in town. I got at least one of them to rewatch.
Episodes I, II, and III were interesting back story, but nothing special.
I've seen VII and IIX, but see them as stretching out a story that had a decent enough ending. I still saw them in theaters, but was glad I only paid the weekday afternoon price.
I saw the first spin-off (the name escapes me) in theaters and though entertaining, it was enough to convince me that Solo would be worth waiting for on Netflix so I didn't have to pay any extra for that experience.
I'm still a Star Wars fan and I look forward to episode IX, but I don't see it as any more than an extension of an already great story.
The wreckage of a Death Star is interesting. I look forward to seeing where that goes.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:34 pm

The Rise of Skywalker? I assume Luke.

He’s a dolt until Obi Wan comes along. He killed the first Death Star, so we know that. Chick he was dry humping turns out to be his sister. Hell, his daddy was Darth Flippin’ Vader. I think we’ve already seen the rise of Skywalker.

I figure this is picking up where that high steppin’ philly puts the light saber into dude’s hand. Please tell me I am close.

If I am close, which history records clearly support that I am most likely not, then the title seems crumminess.

He disappeared. Went into hiding. Typical bun hair style wearing dumbass behavior. Yeah. This is gonna be epic.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 am

So, I don't think this is really a spoiler since it's in the trailer...but the laughter at the end was Emperor Palpatine 8O

The trailer has given rise to many a speculation in the tuttle household among the children. The top three speculations currently floating about are:

1) Despite TLJ, Rey's origin is somehow linked to the Skywalkers
2) Luke will corporeally rise
3) Rey is the embodiment of the Force...literally the Force in human form
4) The most intriguing comes from my nine year old. She thinks Anakin Skywalker will return.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am

If they're not bringing Spock back I'm not watching.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am
He'll be there.

And so will Dumbledore.

And Jane from Firefly.

It'll be quite the rising. I think the new Doctor Who writers are working double time.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 am
So, I don't think this is really a spoiler since it's in the trailer...but the laughter at the end was Emperor Palpatine 8O

The trailer has given rise to many a speculation in the tuttle household among the children. The top three speculations currently floating about are:

4) The most intriguing comes from my nine year old. She thinks Anakin Skywalker will return.
One of the more interesting theories I've heard about the title is that the name "Skywalker" is going to become the new descriptor for light side force users. The "Jedi" will have truly died, as, according to Luke, the Jedi have failed rather spectacularly. Rey will be the first of the Skywalkers, who will somehow adopt the good parts of the Jedi while not necessarily sticking to everything that made the Jedi who they were. [shrug]
On land, on sea, at home, abroad, I smoke my pipe and worship God.
- J.S. Bach

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 am
He'll be there.

And so will Dumbledore.

And Jane from Firefly.

It'll be quite the rising. I think the new Doctor Who writers are working double time.
And Will Robinson? I liked that guy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:44 pm

I just hope there are no more Death Stars.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:10 pm

UncleBob wrote:I just hope there are no more Death Stars.
Each Death Star was bigger than the one before. They made the third one out of a planet... Spoiler! The rebels will blow up an entire galaxy with the lone surviving fighter.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 pm

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am
[…]

I really hope Abrams can right the ship. I lost a load of faith after The Last Jedi. I'm hopeful he can do it.

[…]
Apparently unlike you, I hope that they don't walk back from the ground laid in The Last Jedi.

If they don't — and I imagine that they won't — it seems to promise a great ending.
I very much enjoyed The Last Jedi. Not sure why so many didn't. I hope they don't walk it back either. But even if they do, I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

tuttle wrote:

Why would anyone trust anything that Kylo Ren says?

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 am

jruegg wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm
tuttle wrote:

JJ Abrams was asked in a recent interview about Rey's parents:
Abrams said, rather than wrote:“I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”
I think this helps my #3 speculation. If they honor Ep 8's answer, and yet there's more to the story, then a viable option would be that her "parents" were probably and actually "nobody". If she's the embodiment of the Force or whatever, she'd literally have no parents (remember Anakin's mom? She said "There was no father"). And likely the people who took care of her were just that and nothing more important than that. So that would maintain the integrity of Ep 8 and give us more.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 am
jruegg wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Abrams said, rather than wrote:“I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”
I think this helps my #3 speculation. If they honor Ep 8's answer, and yet there's more to the story, then a viable option would be that her "parents" were probably and actually "nobody". If she's the embodiment of the Force or whatever, she'd literally have no parents (remember Anakin's mom? She said "There was no father"). And likely the people who took care of her were just that and nothing more important than that. So that would maintain the integrity of Ep 8 and give us more.
Oy. I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked into this...

While, in general, I agreed with many of your criticisms of TLJ, I was surprised that you got hung up on Kylo Ren telling Rey that her parents were nobody. It fit the story at the time, but there is nothing to suggest that he wasn't just outright lying. Heck, Ben Kenobi told Luke that his father was killed by Darth Vader only to walk it back in the next movie. Why in the world would the story writers be bound by Kylo Ren's manipulation of Rey? Everything else pointed to her being Luke's daughter, but since Kylo Ren told her she's nobody we're supposed to believe it?
Sola Deo Gloria

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 am

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 am
tuttle wrote:
jruegg wrote:
tuttle wrote:

While, in general, I agreed with many of your criticisms of TLJ, I was surprised that you got hung up on Kylo Ren telling Rey that her parents were nobody. It fit the story at the time, but there is nothing to suggest that he wasn't just outright lying. Heck, Ben Kenobi told Luke that his father was killed by Darth Vader only to walk it back in the next movie. Why in the world would the story writers be bound by Kylo Ren's manipulation of Rey? Everything else pointed to her being Luke's daughter, but since Kylo Ren told her she's nobody we're supposed to believe it?
I'm still caught up by the broom scene at the end of TLJ.

Was it Disney at that point? it was, wasn't it?

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am

Gabriel wrote:
tuttle wrote:
jruegg wrote:
tuttle wrote:

But.... Darth Vader did kill Anakin.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am
Gabriel wrote:
tuttle wrote:
jruegg wrote:
tuttle wrote:

But.... Darth Vader did kill Anakin.
The 6s of 1st John: