The Changing Landscape of Craft Beer

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Re: The Changing Landscape of Craft Beer

Post by arank87 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm
In fact, I just took the running boards of the truck and changed the fuel filter. Time for a cold one. Anyone who wants to come over and join me is welcome!

Would that I could! I love that attitude by the way. When I sold beer for a living young beer nerds would be shocked when I professed my deep admiration for the big breweries’ technical prowess. Quality control can be art! Anyway cheers to all; drink and smoke what you like.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm
In fact, I just took the running boards of the truck and changed the fuel filter. Time for a cold one. Anyone who wants to come over and join me is welcome!

Would that I could! I love that attitude by the way. When I sold beer for a living young beer nerds would be shocked when I professed my deep admiration for the big breweries’ technical prowess. Quality control can be art! Anyway cheers to all; drink and smoke what you like.
Yeah, I used to be a beer snob. I got over it. One of my favorite ales was made by a small brewery. It was all the rage in the San Diego beer scene in 2013. Miller Coors bought them in 2015. It still tastes good and now it’s easier to get and find. This is me chillin with the neighbors eating ribs one my neighbors made with with his Treager.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Me thinks when you drink enough beer, craft or industrial, the whole landscape---if it has trees---becomes a urinal when necessary.
A Special Forces Sargent I knew told me never spend a lot a money on beer because you're only rentingfor a short while.
I drink local, and never an IPA :barf2: (even though that is what they always seem to be pushing :evil: )
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 pm
Me thinks when you drink enough beer, craft or industrial, the whole landscape---if it has trees---becomes a urinal when necessary.
A Special Forces Sargent I knew told me never spend a lot a money on beer because you're only rentingfor a short while.
I drink local, and never an IPA :barf2: (even though that is what they always seem to be pushing :evil: )
I've heard the "renting for a short time" logic applied to various items, whether drinking or eating.

Last week in Colorado Springs I drank a scotch ale from the local Bristol Brewery as always. Then an Agave Wheat, which is another local brew, with a burger for dinner, very nice. Thursday evening I joined some folks for dinner at a seafood boil place called Krabby's, and had a very nice IPA or two with the meal, and afterward was really craving a pipe. I could hardly wait to load up a bowl of Haddos Delight.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 pm
I've heard the "renting for a short time" logic applied to various items, whether drinking or eating.

Last week in Colorado Springs I drank a scotch ale from the local Bristol Brewery as always. Then an Agave Wheat, which is another local brew, with a burger for dinner, very nice. Thursday evening I joined some folks for dinner at a seafood boil place called Krabby's, and had a very nice IPA or two with the meal, and afterward was really craving a pipe. I could hardly wait to load up a bowl of Haddos Delight.
I've enjoyed The Laughing Lab, the Bristol Brewery's Scotch Ale. Wonderful stuff! Sampling local brews sure make traveling fun!Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 am

arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 pm
In my experience the number one challenger for startup breweries is talent. People underestimate just how terribly hard it is to make good beer consistently. This is the miracle of Miller Coors et al. They make “perfect” beer every single time. A small brewery may be good one week and atrocious the next. Consumers are very much a fool me once crowd.
arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm
When I sold beer for a living young beer nerds would be shocked when I professed my deep admiration for the big breweries’ technical prowess. Quality control can be art! Anyway cheers to all; drink and smoke what you like.
I read a book about beer by a guy who used to work for Budweiser. He too lauded to the -nth degree their technical prowess. I've heard Jim Koch praise it among other craft brewers. And I certainly don't want to downplay it, but it always strikes me as funny that their consistency is nearly worldwide the only thing that's praised.

As an extremely amateur brewer, they have my appreciation. As a consumer I could care less about consistency if they consistently produce crappy beer :lol:
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:47 am

arank87 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:34 pm
My last post was way off topic, too long, and generally not in the tone I mean to share on this forum. You can’t delete posts apparently or I would.
I didn't think it was off topic or too long. Nothing wrong with the tone either IMO. Relax.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 am

Selling the same beer in Honolulu to San Juan, from Anchorage to Brownsville is one thing. Big Business like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Nabisco also thrive on that business model.
But it never seems to taste anywhere as good as the local stuff.