Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Post Reply
User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25432
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 pm

I miss McClelland and even some of my fav PS blends are MIA, so I thought I'd explore the tobacco world of GLP. Maltese Falcon and Caravan sound very interesting from the descriptions. I'll probably pick up one or two more to round out my order (Lagonda, maybe?)
I haven't been fond of Perique and VaPers in the past, but I do tend to like Orientals.

Got any suggestions?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by rgcurrey » Fri May 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 pm
I miss McClelland and even some of my fav PS blends are MIA, so I thought I'd explore the tobacco world of GLP. Maltese Falcon and Caravan sound very interesting from the descriptions. I'll probably pick up one or two more to round out my order (Lagonda, maybe?)
I haven't been fond of Perique and VaPers in the past, but I do tend to like Orientals.

Got any suggestions?
Oh, oh, oh, get some Samarra and then let me know how it is.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 18963
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Key Largo. Only Key Largo.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play Plug. They are really good to me. Triple Play is especially tasty but it will knock you on your butt if you're not careful.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11824
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play Plug. They are really good to me. Triple Play is especially tasty but it will knock you on your butt if you're not careful.
These are great.

Chelsea Morning is another favorite.
Sola Deo Gloria

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4877
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by DAN » Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 pm

I haven't tried many. I liked Jack Knife Ready Rubbed and I adore Cairo. Next time SmokingPipes has a sale, I'm buying a bunch for the cellar.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9213
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Hov, a good GLP (McClelland like) straight Red Virginia is U-nion Square, but it must be given a couple years age. Here are reviews...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/334 ... ion-square
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Stanley76 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play Plug. They are really good to me. Triple Play is especially tasty but it will knock you on your butt if you're not careful.
These are great.

Chelsea Morning is another favorite.
I had the Jack Knife Plug but I tried the Triple Play because of a post you made. Cut it up like you said too. You were right, that stuff is great. I'm just about to finish up the trial tin of it, so I bought a couple of 8 ounce tubs of it. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11824
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play Plug. They are really good to me. Triple Play is especially tasty but it will knock you on your butt if you're not careful.
These are great.

Chelsea Morning is another favorite.
I had the Jack Knife Plug but I tried the Triple Play because of a post you made. Cut it up like you said too. You were right, that stuff is great. I'm just about to finish up the trial tin of it, so I bought a couple of 8 ounce tubs of it. Thanks.
Glad it worked out!

I’m smoking some right now in a FredS pipe.
Sola Deo Gloria

smokadoro
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by smokadoro » Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 am

+1 on the Chelsea Morning recommendation. Navigator and Blackpoint are also delicious.

Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play are similar, both flavorful, dry-smoking plugs. Got sick of using my knife every time I wanted to smoke and I could never get the cut as consistent as I prefer, so I'll stick with flake or broken flake for only that reason.

Unfortunately my early pipe smoking years were wasted on goopy aromatics. Just as I was coming down with TAD McLelland went out of business. So I can't speak to what is analogous to their blends.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8959
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Bloodhound » Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:03 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 pm
I miss McClelland and even some of my fav PS blends are MIA, so I thought I'd explore the tobacco world of GLP. Maltese Falcon and Caravan sound very interesting from the descriptions. I'll probably pick up one or two more to round out my order (Lagonda, maybe?)
I haven't been fond of Perique and VaPers in the past, but I do tend to like Orientals.

Got any suggestions?
Oh, oh, oh, get some Samarra and then let me know how it is.
This is the start and finish of your search in you want orientals...it has become my special occasion smoke...yup it is that good!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9213
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:09 pm

GLP's Fog City Selections came recommended by our 'ol Rusty. They are primarily Virginia blends. There are a number of good ones. The last 4 in this list are ones I've had some of and can say they are worth trying. Those last 4 are also the ones Rusty recommended....

http://www.glpease.com/Tobacco/FogCity/index.html
Last edited by Goose55 on Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2013
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by rgcurrey » Sat May 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:03 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 pm
I miss McClelland and even some of my fav PS blends are MIA, so I thought I'd explore the tobacco world of GLP. Maltese Falcon and Caravan sound very interesting from the descriptions. I'll probably pick up one or two more to round out my order (Lagonda, maybe?)
I haven't been fond of Perique and VaPers in the past, but I do tend to like Orientals.

Got any suggestions?
Oh, oh, oh, get some Samarra and then let me know how it is.
This is the start and finish of your search in you want orientals...it has become my special occasion smoke...yup it is that good!
Well then, maybe I just need to get myself a tin.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

smokadoro
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by smokadoro » Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Almost forgot to recommend Haddo's Delight as well. Some say it's very funky but I didn't perceive that much out of the ordinary with it. I would love to try some which has been aged a while.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

User avatar
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 8162
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Lexington, NC, near the Walmart
Contact:

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Steverino » Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm

I've smoked a number of GLP blends and have found a few to be quite good. Uni0n Square is one of my favorites, along with Stratford. I also like Telegraph Hill and Caravan (has orientals). I don't get into english/oriental blends to speak of but I found Westminster to be a quality blend. Chelsea Morning is also decent. I tried a couple of the newer blends, I think they were Gaslight and Sextant but they were so unremarkable to me that I don't really remember what they were like. Oh, there's another one that's good, Laurel Heights. Blackpoint is pretty good, I believe it has some orientals in the mix. Fillmore is pretty good too but that has perique. There are probably a few others but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

User avatar
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by MrPiper » Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Haddo's is outstanding. Not just a VaPer blend but added black cavendish, burley and a topping that I would call licorice. This is one of my absolute all time favorite blends. Also I have had tins of this that were over 10 years old and were as good or better than new. VERY recommended.

I haven't smoked in over 4 years now. I miss this particular blend as much as my pipe in general. Maybe someday... :-(

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9213
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Suggest some GLP blends, please!

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Where is Hov?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply