2 Timothy stuff...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

2 Timothy stuff...

Post by JMG » Thu May 16, 2019 11:14 pm

I posted this on FB, but thought I'd share it here as well. May be total nonsense, like most things I try to articulate. But maybe it will be an encouragement to some. God spoke to me personally through the idea today as I was working on writing this lesson...

Currently writing a lesson for the Hewa church from 2 Timothy. One point particularly about fleeing evil desires. I'm trying to use an example about a Hewa friend who noticed cracks in the ground where his house was, indicating a coming landslide. He quickly did all the hard work to tear down his house and rebuild it before the landslide could destroy it completely.

It's got me to thinking about the need to see the warning cracks in my life, the signs that everything is not all right. And just like Yanis took action to circumvent the coming destruction of his physical house, I need be aware of the warning signs and take action to prevent destruction in my life.

In order to prevent a total destruction of his house, Yanis had to tear it all down in order to rebuild in a safer place. I think that analogy works well for me in that, when I see the warning signs, the cracks in my own life, even though it's a lot of work, I need to be willing to tear down my way of doing things and rebuild on better ground.

I trust that my salvation, being built upon the rock of Christ Jesus, is eternally secure, but in my sinfulness and without constant evaluation, I allow parts of my life to branch out onto the weak foundations of selfish intent, laziness, and of trusting in my own understanding and emotions instead of God's Word. This will always produce cracks, through which I can see the coming destruction. And though God is perfectly capable of redeeming and rebuilding me should that happen, it will be a lot less painful to simply confess these things and allow God to tear down my pride and selfish expectations and simply rebuild the whole of me back upon Himself.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: 2 Timothy stuff...

Post by sweetandsour » Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks John. Your words are an encouragement.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri May 17, 2019 7:02 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 pm
Indeed. I needed this.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 am

:thumbsup:
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 am

About those cracks, and rebuilding on firmer ground:

I had a great professor who taught us the cause of most problems, both personal and social: We have problems when we have the wrong definition of happiness.

We all seek happiness. Our happiness can only be found in living in a close, righteous, and holy relationship with our Creator. As St. Augustine says, "You made us for Yourself, O God, and our hearts are restless until we rest in You."

But living God's way is hard. It means self-denial. It means sacrificial love for others.

So we seek shortcuts to happiness. Alcohol, drugs, disordered sexual relationships. We put our faith in politicians, or we give too much attention to our jobs.

And then the cracks start to show up in our lives. Because we aren't living the way that we are made to live. We aren't loving the way that we are made to love.

Watch out for those cracks! And do the hard work to get back onto firm ground. PRAY!
Last edited by Del on Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

JMG

Post by JMG » Fri May 17, 2019 7:31 am

Del wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 am
About those cracks, and rebuilding on firmer ground:

I had a great professor who taught us the cause of most problems, both personal and social: We have problems when we have the wrong definition of happiness.

We all seek happiness. Our happiness can only be found in living in a close, righteous, and holy relationship with our Creator. As St. Augustine says, "You made us for Yourself, O God, and our hearts are restless until we rest in You."

But living God's way is hard. It means self-denial. It means sacrificial love for others.

So we seek shortcuts to happiness. Alcohol, drugs, disordered sexual relationships. We put our faith in politicians, or we give too much attention to our jobs.

And then the cracks start to show up in our lives. Because we aren't living the way that we are made to live. We are loving the ways that we are made to love.

Watch out for those cracks! And do the hard work to get back onto firm ground. PRAY!
Hear, hear!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am

Good stuff John and Del. CPS needs more focus on, and thoughtful discussion of, the C.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 am

FredS wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am
Good stuff John and Del. CPS needs more focus on, and thoughtful discussion of, the C.
True, true.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am

+JMJ+
FredS wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am
[…] CPS needs more focus on, and thoughtful discussion of, the C.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri May 17, 2019 9:03 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:02 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Indeed. I needed this.
I certainly did too. After my morning, very timely.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 17, 2019 1:17 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Amen
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD