D-Day

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

D-Day

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm

I used to have coffee with an old gent nearly every morning.
He'd served as a medic at Omaha Beach on D-Day.
He was one of the kindest persons I've ever met.
"Pappy" Walls
A neat old gal, Fran. who also was part of our morning caffeine group told us her brother was a paratrooper who was killed on D-Day.

D-Day makes me think of these people.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: D-Day

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 pm

I think of several guys on D-Day, mostly old co-workers that were near retirement age when I entered the workforce or soon after. But one guy in particular was a paratrooper who had lied about his age to enlist, and he was super nice and also super tough.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Here's what I posted on Facebook last night:

As a young kid, I used to deliver the paper to this quiet old man. He was always kind and often tipped me a loonie. To me, he was just a nice, little old man.

Then a couple years ago I see a picture in Maclean's magazine ... and realize that little old man, is the man in the centre of the picture, about to storm the beaches on D-day.

Thanks, Mr. Hasiuk, and to all the other quiet old men & women.Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 pm

An amazing generation one and all. I just found out today that the D in D Day stood for "Day". It was originally, The Day. I never knew that before, I am ashamed to say. The forces of good against evil in concrete visible terms.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm
I used to have coffee with an old gent nearly every morning.
He'd served as a medic at Omaha Beach on D-Day.
He was one of the kindest persons I've ever met.
"Pappy" Walls
A neat old gal, Fran. who also was part of our morning caffeine group told us her brother was a paratrooper who was killed on D-Day.

D-Day makes me think of these people.
Too many brave allied troops died on D-Day. It is very sad but it turned the tide in the war against Nazi Germany.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

CodeMonkey
Beeblebrox's Second Head
Beeblebrox's Second Head

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 am

I know that people have died around the world at different times to secure our freedom. For some reason I always think of the men who perished on
D-Day when I vote. I feel like I owe to all who paid the ultimate sacrifice to cast my vote.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 am

The Longest Day was on last night and I watched it for the umpteenth time, but it's be quite a few years since last I saw it. I had forgotten how many well known actors are in that old movie, and how many from the old James Bond movies. Anyway, it's a little easier to watch than Saving Pvt Ryan I think.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jester » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 am

CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 am
I know that people have died around the world at different times to secure our freedom. For some reason I always think of the men who perished on
D-Day when I vote. I feel like I owe to all who paid the ultimate sacrifice to cast my vote.
+1
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS