Royal Yacht

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Royal Yacht

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally picked it up for the utterly silly reason that I enjoy Simenon's writing and he was an exclusive smoker of Royal Yacht (fun fact: his was a wider cut and named "Coupe Maigret after his famous detective).

Quickly learned this stuff suited me, and has been an old reliable for a few years now. At it's best it's a dark experience, just a tiny hint of fruitiness if smoked in a briar. At its worst, if oversmoked, it's an English Ovals cigarette--acrid and harsh.

Imagine my surprise when loading a meerschaum with it the other day and finding its sweet spot greatly magnified. Sugary and tobaccoey all at once.

Dont know if anyone cares. But if you do, it's worth a shot.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Royal Yacht

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 pm

I used to smoked Royal Yacht when it was available at the local Tinderbox. Nice stuff!
I wasn't aware Simenon was a fan.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 pm

I love RY at first, but I frequently lost my taste for it about half way through the bowl. I think I've only bought a tin or two of it over the years because of that.

Truth be told, back then I was probably smoking it too hot or making some other technique error. Maybe I should try it again.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:03 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 pm
I love RY at first, but I frequently lost my taste for it about half way through the bowl. I think I've only bought a tin or two of it over the years because of that.

Truth be told, back then I was probably smoking it too hot or making some other technique error. Maybe I should try it again.
That's how I feel about aromatics. They're sold as beginners tobaccos and taste like an ashtray to the n00B. Years later they taste like dessert liqueur and we love them.

But to be fair, lot of people haaaa-aaate Captain Black.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:03 pm
JimVH wrote:

That's how I feel about aromatics. They're sold as beginners tobaccos and taste like an ashtray to the n00B. Years later they taste like dessert liqueur and we love them.

I love dessert liqueurs. Heh, sorry, I just had to say that.

I have an ancient tin of RY around here somewhere. Now I need to find it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:55 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:03 pm
JimVH wrote:

I love dessert liqueurs. Heh, sorry, I just had to say that.

I have an ancient tin of RY around here somewhere. Now I need to find it.
That was a stra ge slip on my part. I meant to say some people really hate Royal Yacht. Wonder where the CAPT Black came from?