Hewa trip pics...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Hewa trip pics...

Post by JMG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm borrowing this pic from a friend b/c I never seen to get a good one of these dumb devil birds...
Image

Prepping/loading the Kodiak for a dawn departure. This is about 5 am...
Image

Getting to the hangar at 4:30 am for a dawn departure always sucks, but it does have some perks...
Image

Our village and airstrip we cleared years ago (used to be all jungle) Hard to tell from this pic, looks like flat terrain, but it's some brutal mountain hiking here...
Image

My buddy Alison tipped one of his arrows with a bird beak...
Image

Image

My wife was bringing in nasty village dogs and bathing them. She's a sucker for a puppy. I was enjoying a Ryan Alden apple...
Image

Image

This dude moved to our village. I think he talked to me from the time I got there until the time I flew out and never took a breath...
Image

Church service. Teaching 2 Timothy...
Image

This dog nearly got its head split open by one of the cassowaries...
Image

My buddy's shorts. It's like they weren't even trying...
Image

This is Maikol, one of our Bible teachers. He's married again now so we called him by his name. But after his first wife died we had to just call him "Waina" which means "widow". It's a Hewa cultural thing. Weird, huh?
Image

Stupidly cute Hewa baby...
Image

My youngest hanging out with one of our good friends...
Image

The guy on the left, Fato, was dying, so we gathered for him to give his "kwe saini" (sort of like his last will and testament)...
Image

Image

My little jungle home...
Image

Image

Kids of every culture like to play with mud...
Image

Traditional Hewa armband...
Image
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2186
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Thank you for these.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 10811
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 am

Great pics, thanks. Curious, what percentage of the village attends the Sunday School?

Also, what tobacco did you bring with you?
Last edited by sweetandsour on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1389
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:56 am

Doing the Lord's Will and the pictures are uplifting. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1389
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am

Also just so you know, I was sitting here reading your post while I was considering playing hooky from church today. Then I looked at these pictures and thought about you and your whole family traveling to the other side of the world to teach isolated people God's Word and I thought to myself, "Really? I can't be bothered to even go to church and look at what this family is doing." Anyway, right after I type this I'm heading to church. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

User avatar
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by JMG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 am
Great pics, thanks. Curious, what percentage of the village attends the Sunday School?

Also, what tobacco did you bring with you?
A majority come to services, but it’s a community based culture so that’s just what they do.

This time I took some Indonesian tobacco. It smelled and tasted much like raisins.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG
Posts: 6369
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by JMG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am
Also just so you know, I was sitting here reading your post while I was considering playing hooky from church today. Then I looked at these pictures and thought about you and your whole family traveling to the other side of the world to teach isolated people God's Word and I thought to myself, "Really? I can't be bothered to even go to church and look at what this family is doing." Anyway, right after I type this I'm heading to church. Thanks.
Hope you had a great day with God’s people, brother.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1389
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm

JMG wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am
Also just so you know, I was sitting here reading your post while I was considering playing hooky from church today. Then I looked at these pictures and thought about you and your whole family traveling to the other side of the world to teach isolated people God's Word and I thought to myself, "Really? I can't be bothered to even go to church and look at what this family is doing." Anyway, right after I type this I'm heading to church. Thanks.
Hope you had a great day with God’s people, brother.
Yes I did. The sermon was on letting go and turning all control of your life over to the Lord. Not as easy as it sounds but necessary. Thanks. Prayers for you and your family everyday.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9234
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:26 pm

JMG wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 am
Great pics, thanks. Curious, what percentage of the village attends the Sunday School?

Also, what tobacco did you bring with you?
A majority come to services, but it’s a community based culture so that’s just what they do.

This time I took some Indonesian tobacco. It smelled and tasted much like raisins.
Love the pics...and so glad you and the family are safely back at the base
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11861
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:26 pm
JMG wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 am
Great pics, thanks. Curious, what percentage of the village attends the Sunday School?

Also, what tobacco did you bring with you?
A majority come to services, but it’s a community based culture so that’s just what they do.

This time I took some Indonesian tobacco. It smelled and tasted much like raisins.
Love the pics...and so glad you and the family are safely back at the base
Amen
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
Posts: 22726
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

Always a pleasure to see the Hewa pics.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23826
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Hewa trip pics...

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
Always a pleasure to see the Hewa pics.
Indeed.

Post Reply