Questions for Catholics

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Re: Questions for Catholics

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Another question. Some of you may have seen my post about the book I received from the Catholics titled Rediscovering the Saints. I hope no one took offense at my attempt at humor about Rosary Rattlers. If you did, I apologize to you. I meant no offense. My question is this, do the Roman Catholics and Orthodox recognize the same saints? By the way I'm enjoying the book very much. I pray that people who receive it will be drawn to a life of faith in our Lord.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 am

+JMJ+
CodeMonkey wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 pm
… My question is this, do the Roman Catholics and Orthodox recognize the same saints? …
There's a whole lot of (pre-11th c.) crossover, but no 1:1 correspondence.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm

My questions focus on praying the Rosary. From what I’ve read it seems that the words of the prayers are already spelled out for you. Do you add words for the situation at hand? Or do you just focus on the situation as you pray the established words?

How often do you pray the Rosary? Is this a requirement by the church?

I’m just trying to understand the spirit of the process. I’m sure it’s just like anything else that Christians do. Some people probably pray the Rosary like it’s a magical incantation. Others pray it with faith and humility. As a result they are strengthened in their faith. Some Christians read the Bible in order to gain knowledge and feel superior to others. Others read it for spiritual growth. Thanks in advance for helping to educate and for your patience with this dumb Okie.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm
My questions focus on praying the Rosary. From what I’ve read it seems that the words of the prayers are already spelled out for you. Do you add words for the situation at hand? Or do you just focus on the situation as you pray the established words?

I’m just trying to understand the spirit of the process. I’m sure it’s just like anything else that Christians do. Some people probably pray the Rosary like it’s a magical incantation. Others pray it with faith and humility. As a result they are strengthened in their faith. Some Christians read the Bible in order to gain knowledge and feel superior to others. Others read it for spiritual growth. Thanks in advance for helping to educate and for your patience with this dumb Okie.
Stop the “dumb Okie” stuff. There’s never been a dumb Okie. :D

There are two aspects to the Rosary. One, of course, are the set prayers. Those you found. The second aspect is the Mystery being contemplated. Not being a Wosbaldian Pachamama sort, I recognize the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries. The Luminous mysteries came too late for me.

You probably noticed that there are five decades to the Rosary. So let’s go to the Joyful mysteries. These are the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Nativity, The Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple, and the Finding of Our Lord in the Temple. These correspond to the decades. Some merely meditate visually while they are praying. I prefer to announce a biblical verse before each Hail Mary.

The Sorrowful Mysteries are the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, the Scourging at the Piller, the Crowning with Thorns, Jesus Carries His Cross, and the Crucifixion. The Glorious Mysteries are the Resurrection, the Ascension, the Descent of the Holy Spirit, the Assumption, and the Crowning of Mary.

As you say, some pray it with faith and humility, attempting to understand the Passion. Others pray it as a rote thing. Still others do not pray it at all, because the prayer is not commanded by the Catholic Church.

I try to pray it daily because I find the meditations center me. I don’t always succeed. There is a pious tradition that one’s guardian angel completes the prayers when one falls asleep—a very real occurrence, as it’s pretty deeply meditative.

I don’t want to write a book, but I love the Rosary. Any questions you ever have about it, don’t hesitate to ask.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm

The Rosary is a private devotion. It is not a requirement. And the way that one enters into this prayer is as individual as any other prayer or devotion. There is no right or wrong way to pray!

Historically, the Rosary was a way for common folk to pray with the Scriptures at a time when books were not cheap and most people could not read. It helped people to spend time with the most familiar Gospel stories that we hold in our hearts.

Christian prayer is never supposed to be regarded as an incantation or spell casting. That would be a very childish and immature way to approach the rosary.

The Rosary works wonderfully as a family prayer. It is prayer that is suitable for adults and children of all ages can share, each at his own level.
- The littlest children enjoy holding the beads, and sense that this is a special family time.
- Young children can count along the beads and recite the prayers -- Our Father and Hail Mary and Glory Be
- Older children can remember the Gospel Mysteries (events in the life of Jesus and Mary) that are associated with each decade (set of ten beads)
- Adults who are well-practiced in prayer can meditate on the Scripture as the recited prayers keep time

As you realize, growing with the Rosary is like growing with Scripture. A child who can read, can read Scripture. And adult who can pray, can pray Scripture.

Most of the memorized prayers are recitations of Scripture. The Lord's Prayer is pure Scripture. The Hail Mary is two more passages of Scripture -- Gabriel's greeting to Mary, and Elizabeth's greeting to Mary. The 20 Mysteries are revelations from Scripture that we meditate on as we recite the memorized prayers. ("Mystery" means "a hidden secret that God has revealed to us." It does not mean "an incomprehensible thing," as it does in the modern secular meaning.)
====================================================

Over time, families tend to add layers of prayer intentions and special customs to their family rosary devotion. It's always a special treat when one is invited as a guest to join in a family's rosary prayer.

I was visiting friends in South Carolina for a weekend in October. They added an astoundingly long list of persons they were praying for -- living and dead. The father and the oldest daughter recite the names very fast -- it is a very long list, but they remember every one, every day.

I was amazed to hear them pray for the soul of our bishop in Wisconsin, who died a year ago. So generous of them! (And so humbling -- I don't pray for my bishop every day.)
===================================

I hope this helps. Ping me anytime if you have any specific questions.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

smokadoro
Tribe Member
Tribe Member

Post by smokadoro » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 am

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 pm
The Hail Mary is two more passages of Scripture -- Gabriel's greeting to Mary, and Elizabeth's greeting to Mary.
Eyes = opened! :idea:

Somehow the possibility that the Hail Mary was actually quoting Scripture had never entered my thick Protestant head. I say that in embarrassment of my deep-seated ignorance.

I truly appreciate this forum.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 am

smokadoro wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 am
Del wrote:
The Hail Mary is two more passages of Scripture -- Gabriel's greeting to Mary, and Elizabeth's greeting to Mary.

Somehow the possibility that the Hail Mary was actually quoting Scripture had never entered my thick Protestant head. I say that in embarrassment of my deep-seated ignorance.

"One of Rome's great sins is that of chasing evangelical Christians away from Mary." - Doug Wilson

"One of Evangelicalism's great sins is that of eschewing anything that sniffs of Rome." -tuttle
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am

+JMJ+
► Show Spoiler

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm

smokadoro wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 am
Del wrote:

It is a good thing to esteem the Scripture, as most Evangelicals do. Read, study, memorize, track chapter & verse. Many Catholic Christians share this devotion to Scripture.

Note that this esteem for Scripture is learned behavior. It takes conscious effort. It is done on purpose.

Apostolic Christians also live in the Scripture. This is cultural and unconscious. Modern Catholics may appear lazy and ignorant regarding the Bible, but they we a great deal of Scripture memorized and internalized -- and we don't even know it. It takes no effort. We just do it.

This gives rise to a thing that Evangelicals find very strange about Catholics. We talk and pray like we have personal relationships with the people in Scripture. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Peter -- we know them. We have met them. They are our friends.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

I got one. What is the true 3rd secret of Fatima?
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Here you go---
https://aleteia.org/2016/05/13/5-surpri ... of-fatima/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for all of your answers. I recently bought an Anglican Rosary and a Catholic Rosary. I've tried doing the Anglican Rosary a couple of times. I guess like anything it takes practice.

I didn't mean to offend with my comparison to a magic incantation. I feel that many protestants treat the Bible as a magic book. They run into a difficulty and they search the scripture. They seem to hope they will find an incantation to solve their problem. This is the only time they search the scripture.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:41 pm
I didn't mean to offend with my comparison to a magic incantation.
Stop apologizing.

Nobody here is offended by any question that is asked in good faith. Quite the opposite: We are honored that you are asking! We do our humble best to answer.
===================================

The rosary beads -- like a Bible book -- are sacramentals. There are powers and blessings attached to the material things. They are "holy."

St. Padre Pio (a mystic whose life was full of miracles and demonic torments) referred to his rosary as "my weapon." He kept a firm grasp on his beads!

So it is not surprising that some people with simple and immature faith might imagine that the sacramentals are talismans of some sort.

I think every cradle Catholic has childhood memories of believing these things, as we grew and struggled to grasp the reality of God. It doesn't surprise us at all to hear that some Evangelicals treat the Bible as a magic book.... that sounds normal. Our job is to help them grow into a mature, adult faith.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 pm
Fainn wrote:
Here you go---
I mean the REAL 3rd secret of Fatima.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 am

Fainn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Here you go---
Sedevacantist?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 am
Fainn wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Here you go---
Sedevacantist?
I miss wosbald.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 am
Hovannes wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 am
Fainn wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Here you go---
Sedevacantist?
I miss wosbald.
I was channeling Wos 1.0