Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20266
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm

They're fun and frustrating. I'm convinced they're magic: some color like lightning, some don't ever really do anything but turn a tinge, and you can't predict what any given one will do. Most color from the shank, then bottom up. Some color all over. I have one that colors in little crackly spots that gradually fill in.

If you like a tobacco in a briar, you may be disabused of the notion with a meerschaum. I don't, for instance, like McClelland Virginia's in a briar but they mellow in a meerschaum. Perique is amplified. Think you don't like rich aromatics? Try them in a meer. BLWB is boss hog.

I thought I hated Latakia. Love it in a meer, but only full rich oriental stuff. Light latakia mixtures become resinous tasting, like pine needles. Maltose Falcon is a guilty pleasure in a briar--its Jacquins Ginger Brandy in a meer, minus the sweetness. It's like chewing a stick of raw ginger.

I've come to the conclusion that I love the damned things and I cant explain why. Then again, I always liked my old Alfa Romeo, too. I think I like to tame the beast and don't mind a constant learning curve.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 29612
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 pm

How do I help the draw? All 3 of my meers have sucky draws, The Rhodie is the least infected. The poker is like the Typhoid Mary of crappy draws. But, I love it.

Help me, Hugo.

For the children.
DL Jake

I cook cornbread in my underwear. - JimVH

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20266
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Well, if you cant learn to smoke, you take a drill bit/file to it. Same as a briar.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37308
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 pm
How do I help the draw? All 3 of my meers have sucky draws, The Rhodie is the least infected. The poker is like the Typhoid Mary of crappy draws. But, I love it.

Help me, Hugo.

For the children.
First check the tenons.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 30347
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by coco » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm
Well, if you cant learn to smoke, you take a drill bit/file to it. Same as a briar.
Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20266
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm
Well, if you cant learn to smoke, you take a drill bit/file to it. Same as a briar.
Image
Didnt know Fred made meers. I'll take two.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 pm

Are there some brands of Meers that we should look for...I see a lot of what I suspect are junky-pressed-garbage. What should a person expect to pay for a quality Meer? I have interest, but it has a price limit :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16978
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Might be time to pick up my CPS meer-- out of the fiddle case. This thread intrigues me.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20266
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Are there some brands of Meers that we should look for...I see a lot of what I suspect are junky-pressed-garbage. What should a person expect to pay for a quality Meer? I have interest, but it has a price limit :)
Your best bet is the estate market. New meers are out of control and good carving is not a guarantee of smoking ability.

You see, the turks are great carvers. But they aren't really smokers. Even Yanik's arent noted for their smoking characteristics.

I'd look for old CAO's and used IMP's. Strambach is a bad idea. 60-80 bucks on ebay. Don't go for hot makers.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:51 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Are there some brands of Meers that we should look for...I see a lot of what I suspect are junky-pressed-garbage. What should a person expect to pay for a quality Meer? I have interest, but it has a price limit :)
Your best bet is the estate market. New meers are out of control and good carving is not a guarantee of smoking ability.

You see, the turks are great carvers. But they aren't really smokers. Even Yanik's arent noted for their smoking characteristics.

I'd look for old CAO's and used IMP's. Strambach is a bad idea. 60-80 bucks on ebay. Don't go for hot makers.
Cool Thanks...I am on the hunt :D
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 2094
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm

I bought a Koncak Meerschaum from ebay. I consulted with Hugo before buying. Love that thing but it's not darkening up. I couldn't care less what color it is. I usually smoke latakia blends in it but I might try some Iwan Ries Three Star Blue in it. Sweetandsour said that it smokes better in a pipe with a large bowl and the bowl on my meerschaum is huge.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24817
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 pm

AND Meerschaum - meerschaum.com

I certainly wouldn’t call them high-end, but I have two pipes from them that were affordable, look good, and have proven to be good smokers.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Usher
Usher
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Bookmarked!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 29612
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm
I bought a Koncak Meerschaum from ebay. I consulted with Hugo before buying. Love that thing but it's not darkening up. I couldn't care less what color it is. I usually smoke latakia blends in it but I might try some Iwan Ries Three Star Blue in it. Sweetandsour said that it smokes better in a pipe with a large bowl and the bowl on my meerschaum is huge.
beeswax is your coloring friend

need equipment? PM if interested.
DL Jake

I cook cornbread in my underwear. - JimVH

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 2094
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm
I bought a Koncak Meerschaum from ebay. I consulted with Hugo before buying. Love that thing but it's not darkening up. I couldn't care less what color it is. I usually smoke latakia blends in it but I might try some Iwan Ries Three Star Blue in it. Sweetandsour said that it smokes better in a pipe with a large bowl and the bowl on my meerschaum is huge.
beeswax is your coloring friend

need equipment? PM if interested.
I rub it with beeswax while it's hot from smoking and then rub it down when it cools. It's coloring up on the rim and it's a sort of off white on the rest of the bowl, darker on one side and on the stem. I'm smoking Ries Three Star Blue in it right now.

Image
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 29612
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm
I bought a Koncak Meerschaum from ebay. I consulted with Hugo before buying. Love that thing but it's not darkening up. I couldn't care less what color it is. I usually smoke latakia blends in it but I might try some Iwan Ries Three Star Blue in it. Sweetandsour said that it smokes better in a pipe with a large bowl and the bowl on my meerschaum is huge.
beeswax is your coloring friend

need equipment? PM if interested.
I rub it with beeswax while it's hot from smoking and then rub it down when it cools. It's coloring up on the rim and it's a sort of off white on the rest of the bowl, darker on one side and on the stem. I'm smoking Ries Three Star Blue in it right now.

Image
The bakky you smoke it in has no impact on coloring other than to melt wax into crevasses.
DL Jake

I cook cornbread in my underwear. - JimVH

User avatar
BeefyG
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by BeefyG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 am

Is there any way to ID a meer that isn’t marked? I bought a sultan pipe with case off eBay. The seller said a serviceman brought it home from overseas. It’s a plastic screw tenon and it doesn’t fit perfect but I only paid $10. It passes the licky finger sticky test so I think it’s block meer not pressed. Only marking is 195 written in pen where the tenon and stummel meet.

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Fun Things About Meerschaums I've Learned

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Does a meerschaum require any maintenance if you don't care if it colors in or not?
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

Post Reply