A bad day, truly bad

For those deep thinkers out there.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

A bad day, truly bad

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Wouldn't it be swell if you had it in your ability to make a truly miserably bad day not exist, so it would no longer be poison in your memory?
I mean,really not exist. Like if September 7, 2019 disappears from every calendar, and yesterday was simply the day before?

Sweet!

The problem is somewhere in the world yesterday, there was unimaginable happiness and joy.
Lovers got married, babies got born. The ill were cured and lives saved. Uncontrollable laughter and of course,beauty

To make that day disappear (whatever day it is, I'm just picking on September 7th) would deny the rest of creation that happiness and when one is contemplating such things it seems that there isn't nearly enough happiness to go around.
So making a day non-existent isn't a good thing, even if it were possible

I'm thinking of Chesterton and how he would be filled with joy just being grateful for every day.

Cuss or discuss as you wish.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Re: A bad day, truly bad

Post by Del » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:42 pm

When Chesterton wrote of having passed through a period of severe depression when he was a young man, he said that he was held to this existence by one slim thread of thankfulness.

At its worst, existence is better than non-existence.

This became the first principle of his whole philosophy.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Good thread. I will re-visit
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:42 pm
When Chesterton wrote of having passed through a period of severe depression when he was a young man, he said that he was held to this existence by one slim thread of thankfulness.

At its worst, existence is better than non-existence.

This became the first principle of his whole philosophy.
As an older man, Chesterton became rather chubby.

Image Image
Co-incidence? Perhaps eating well figures into one of his principles :lol:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:54 pm

This is why the flux capacitor is really a bad idea.

But anyway, it's good thoughts for a Sunday afternoon.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 am

It sort of sounds cliche, but sometimes the very worst days become the seedbed for the greatest things in our lives. It's the kind of thing no one having the bad day wants to hear at the time, or even after some years beyond it.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:43 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 am
It sort of sounds cliche, but sometimes the very worst days become the seedbed for the greatest things in our lives. It's the kind of thing no one having the bad day wants to hear at the time, or even after some years beyond it.
+1

Good point.

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:32 am
Being from the (real) midwest (aka "God's country"), tuttle knows about big booming thunderstorms and even tornadoes. They can be horrible things, but the best sunsets come after the worst storms. Same thing with massive forest fires in the west - beautiful sunsets.

Twenty years or so ago, pine beetles killed millions of pine trees in here CO but the fungus God hard-wired in to those beetles turned the wood an amazing bluish color as the trees died. The beauty and abundance of that lumber has brought enjoyment to who-knows how many who use it to decorate their homes and stores.

Not only does can good come from bad, the bad informs the good. I'm pretty sure the angels dance just a little more when the junkie recovers and returns home than when the straight-and-narrow guy drops a million dollars in the plate, precisely because of where the junkie came from. How many bad days do we suppose the prodigal son and his father had?

Luke 15:11-32 (NIV)
Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

“Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

“When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

“Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

“The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

“‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”
Last edited by FredS on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 am

Image lead to Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe