Religious Robots

For those deep thinkers out there.
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Religious Robots

Post by tuttle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 am

Check out this extremely interesting (and disturbing) article: Robot priests can bless you, advise you, and even perform your funeral

It looks across a few different faiths (Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, etc) and highlights some ways robots are being integrated. Some interesting AI discussion.

As one who nearly comes unglued when I see battery powered candles being 'lit' during worship, you can imagine my thoughts on this. And while I'm not quite sold on AI as a reality, I do think at some point the programming that we think of as AI will reach a point where we might find it extremely difficult to differentiate actual programming with AI, a functional AI if you will. And that's bound to have an impact.

Really curious to hear other thoughts on this kind of thing.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Re: Religious Robots

Post by Jester » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:39 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 am
Check out this extremely interesting (and disturbing) article: Robot priests can bless you, advise you, and even perform your funeral

It looks across a few different faiths (Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, etc) and highlights some ways robots are being integrated. Some interesting AI discussion.

As one who nearly comes unglued when I see battery powered candles being 'lit' during worship, you can imagine my thoughts on this. And while I'm not quite sold on AI as a reality, I do think at some point the programming that we think of as AI will reach a point where we might find it extremely difficult to differentiate actual programming with AI, a functional AI if you will. And that's bound to have an impact.

Really curious to hear other thoughts on this kind of thing.
Listen to Joe Rogans podcast with Elon Musk.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am

This technocrat does not approve.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Prob my evangelical upbringing, but I always think of Revelation 13:15.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Stupid. I can't believe people want this.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:14 pm

With apologies to our Japanese brothers and sisters - - - Japanese culture is weird. Few of us in the west can begin to wrap our minds around it, particularly in regards to their young people and their relationship to religion and their cultural history. To this outsider, it appears they do a lot of things simply because it's tradition, with little thought or knowledge of why it's part of their tradition or what it means.

'Mericans do the same though. We sing the national anthem before the football game every Sunday without much thought to what we're singing. We know that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth but too many of us celebrate the day without celebrating Him. Our American 'culture' is only about 300 years old and we're already disconnected from that history. The Japanese have had a couple thousand more years to forget why they are who they are. If the temple priest is seen as simply a guy who says and does certain things, then it's easy enough to see how some think he can be replaced by a machine.

I've been to a couple Japanese temples on weekends and they are packed with people doing rituals - lighting incense, burning prayers, tossing coins, etc - just because it's the thing to do. You know, like Catholics. :chili:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 pm

I don't see what the problem is. I'm a religious robot.