Poor 'lil fella, this field mouse

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Poor 'lil fella, this field mouse

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Poor 'lil fella, this field mouse. He had to have run for cover when I dropped the tailgate on my truck this morning, his head and shoulders fitting through the tailgate drainage holes but not the rest of him. I tried to pull him out without hurting him but apparently he was holding onto something inside. Feel sorry for him but don't know what else to do. I could maybe wet him down with some mild soapy water and then he'd get through OK, and also maybe out again? But there may not be anything inside that he would be able to push against to squeeze back out.

What do you think? What should I do?

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: Poor 'lil fella, this field mouse

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:43 pm

If you leave the tailgait down, I'll bet he will back out if you are not around
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:43 pm
If you leave the tailgait down, I'll bet he will back out if you are not around
I did leave him be for over an hour. There may not be anything for him to push at inside, to back himself out.

I did remove the gate protector and the access panel. I also wet his hindquarters with a mild soapy water. I also shaded the tailgate from our brutal sun with a large foam pad, so he won't get heat stroke. If he can push himself through he'll be OK because he can get out through the access panel area. I also put a slim piece of wood behind him so that he had something more to push himself through with.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:10 pm

You're a kind fellow, Goose. Best of luck to that mouse.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:11 pm

The extra material I put behind his back feet, and the soapy water did the trick.

I saw him push farther in and gave him just a little help and he was free. he ran around inside for a second or two then came out through the access panel area. He looked back as if to say thanks and leapt out and down to the ground. Didn't seem harmed in anyway.

Truly, though, he was caught in there and if I'd just let him be, he was a goner. He had run out of something to push against and there might not have been anything inside to pull with.
Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yohanan
יוֹחָנָן
יוֹחָנָן

Post by Yohanan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

You have a kind heart, glad things worked out.
Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks!!Image

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:11 pm
The extra material I put behind his back feet, and the soapy water did the trick.

I saw him push farther in and gave him just a little help and he was free. he ran around inside for a second or two then came out through the access panel area. He looked back as if to say thanks and leaped out and to the ground. Didn't seemed harmed in anyway.

Truly, though, he was caught in there and if I'd just let him be, he was a goner. He had run out of something to push against and there might not have been anything inside to pull with.
The next way she’ll thank you is by chewing on your harnesses and hoses. Then she’ll have babies and they will chew on them too.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Good thing there weren't any gay prison rats around while he was stuck like that.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Good on ya and congrats to the mouse...but I am reminded of the saying, "Give a mouse a cookie and he is gonna want a glass of milk" ...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm

If he hadn't made it would you bury it? Or cook it. Reminds me of the old film, "Never Cry Wolf".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm
If he hadn't made it would you bury it? Or cook it. Reminds me of the old film, "Never Cry Wolf".
I might have given it to my cat, who is an inside only cat.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm

No way it couldn't get through that hole. Must have just swallowed something large, or else is expecting and close to delivery.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Yohanan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm
Me, too. I kinda felt responsible for I had opened my truck's tailgate and the little guy just bolted for the little 3/4 inch diameter hole. Its doubtful he had ever been in there before because I seldom lower my tailgate. He needed help for this little legs and feet did not have anything else with which to propel himself the rest of the way. As soon as I added the piece of 1 x 2 batting and squirted some soapy water on him, he had pushed farther and I gave him a little push and away he went, out through the access panel opening I had removed.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Yohanan wrote:
Me, too. I kinda felt responsible for I had opened my truck's tailgate and the little guy just bolted for the little 3/4 inch diameter hole. Its doubtful he had ever been in there before because I seldom lower my tailgate. He needed help for this little legs and feet did not have anything else with which to propel himself the rest of the way. As soon as I added the piece of 1 x 2 batting and squirted some soapy water on him, he had pushed farther and I gave him a little push and away he went, out through the access panel opening I had removed.

Dawn to the rescue.

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Yohanan wrote:

Dawn to the rescue.

There was a 1001 uses for Dawn. Now there are 1002. :)