The Demise of JR Cigar

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

The Demise of JR Cigar

Post by Steverino » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Well, at least as far as pipes and tobacco go.

You may have already heard this but I thought I would pass it along just in case anyone was interested. I stopped by the JR Cigar in Burlington, NC a few days ago and saw that a few shelves of pipe tobacco and a display counter with a few pipes in it were sitting outside the humidor (they're normally inside it) and one of the employees was washing out the large bulk tobacco jars. I went in the humidor and into the pipe room to see what was left in there and found nothing. Since I was in need of some pipe cleaners, I stopped to talk to the cigar guys at the cash register and asked about the pipe cleaners. That's when they told me they are getting out of the pipe business altogether and the stuff like pipe cleaners and other accessories was the first to sell out. What I saw left in terms of tobacco was mainly OTC type stuff. There might have been a few tins of the Cask tobaccos left and a few Mac Baren tins. All the bulk tobacco was gone and most of the pipes. There were a few of those odd-looking Tsuge pipes left. So JR Burlington has lots of cigars and lots of cigarettes left, for now.

I did some research and found out what is happening. All of the JRs are being converted into stores called "Casa de Montecristo". These are intended to be luxury cigar lounges. The former JR Cigars in Mooresville, NC has already been converted and though I haven't been there in a while, I'm sure the small amount of pipe stuff that was there is gone, as the store was converted at least a year ago. I don't know when I'll be able to get down to the Selma store to see if they've got anything left, I don't have any trips planned to or through that area any time soon.

I always enjoyed being able to stop, especially at the Burlington store, and pick up pipe cleaners, tobacco and the occasional pipe. Now there are zero pipe and tobacco stores in NC that are convenient to me as I travel in my work. I'd like to be able to say that this will hasten my move to Myrtle Beach and the regular enjoyment of Low Country Pipes, but naw, that ain't happnin any time soon. I guess the only constant is change, as they say.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: The Demise of JR Cigar

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 pm

I try to support local B&Ms every chance I get. It's a tough biz to be in.

Consider that you can get an excellent pipe for less than the cost of a high end box of cigars and a pouch or tin of excellent tobacco for the price of one or three high end sticks and will last a lot longer.

Economics favors pipes! :pipe2:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 pm
I try to support local B&Ms every chance I get. It's a tough biz to be in.

Consider that you can get an excellent pipe for less than the cost of a high end box of cigars and a pouch or tin of excellent tobacco for the price of one or three high end sticks and will last a lot longer.

Economics favors pipes! :pipe2:
Indeed. Plus, the variety of tobaccos available is dizzying. I like an occasional cigar, but overall, the pipe has my loyalty.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Steverino wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm
Well, at least as far as pipes and tobacco go.

You may have already heard this but I thought I would pass it along just in case anyone was interested. I stopped by the JR Cigar in Burlington, NC a few days ago and saw that a few shelves of pipe tobacco and a display counter with a few pipes in it were sitting outside the humidor (they're normally inside it) and one of the employees was washing out the large bulk tobacco jars. I went in the humidor and into the pipe room to see what was left in there and found nothing. Since I was in need of some pipe cleaners, I stopped to talk to the cigar guys at the cash register and asked about the pipe cleaners. That's when they told me they are getting out of the pipe business altogether and the stuff like pipe cleaners and other accessories was the first to sell out. What I saw left in terms of tobacco was mainly OTC type stuff. There might have been a few tins of the Cask tobaccos left and a few Mac Baren tins. All the bulk tobacco was gone and most of the pipes. There were a few of those odd-looking Tsuge pipes left. So JR Burlington has lots of cigars and lots of cigarettes left, for now.

I did some research and found out what is happening. All of the JRs are being converted into stores called "Casa de Montecristo". These are intended to be luxury cigar lounges. The former JR Cigars in Mooresville, NC has already been converted and though I haven't been there in a while, I'm sure the small amount of pipe stuff that was there is gone, as the store was converted at least a year ago. I don't know when I'll be able to get down to the Selma store to see if they've got anything left, I don't have any trips planned to or through that area any time soon.

I always enjoyed being able to stop, especially at the Burlington store, and pick up pipe cleaners, tobacco and the occasional pipe. Now there are zero pipe and tobacco stores in NC that are convenient to me as I travel in my work. I'd like to be able to say that this will hasten my move to Myrtle Beach and the regular enjoyment of Low Country Pipes, but naw, that ain't happnin any time soon. I guess the only constant is change, as they say.
I stopped at a JRC a couple of years ago. I can't remember where it was, just that it was located at an interstate exit, and that the parking lot was huge. Signs boasted that it had the world's largest humidor. I remember that the humidor was indeed large, square-footage-wise, but not cigar-wise. Lots of cigarettes, vaping supplies, gifts, etc. Not many pipes, if any, and very few pipe tobaccos. I did find a tin of Accountant's Mixture, which I purchased. It appeared to be just a cigar store even then.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 am

:(
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

So, this has to be asked, who shot JR?

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 pm

There was a really nice one in Asheville in the north part of town. I always looked forward to visiting when we are in town. I think it was called B&B Tobacco. Do you know if it is still there?

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:06 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 pm
There was a really nice one in Asheville in the north part of town. I always looked forward to visiting when we are in town. I think it was called B&B Tobacco. Do you know if it is still there?
Yes it is. My mom sends me some ounces from time to time. You were close. Its B&B Tobacconist. Beck's Ol Limey Bastard is the closest to 965 as anything else.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am

Steverino wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm
Thanks Steve. I wasn't aware of that, but it jives with what I've seen here in NJ.

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:07 pm

There website seems to have removed pipes, but at least for now, their pipe tobacco selection seems to still be pretty comprehensive.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Yeah, they may not have cleaned out their warehouse yet. Or haven't changed that part of the web page. I know one of the most often heard complaints about ordering tobacco from JR was that they charged too much for shipping.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV