Woodworking question...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Woodworking question...

Post by JMG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Other than the speed of the domino tool vs a manual dowel jig, what is the advantage of a domino vs a dowel for projects like tabletops and the like? Any structural advantage to one vs the other?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: Woodworking question...

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:30 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm
Other than the speed of the domino tool vs a manual dowel jig, what is the advantage of a domino vs a dowel for projects like tabletops and the like? Any structural advantage to one vs the other?
Did you lick the frog again? Are you blasting Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds? Are you still playing with that obstinate beetle that is clearly annoyed with you messing with him?

We're concerned.

Very.

Concerned.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 pm

I’ve not used the domino cutter, but I’m told it’s stronger than dowels and a little more forgiving on alignment.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"The easiest way to digest success is through gratitude." Matthew McConaughey

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 am

I reckon there are a least a couple youtube videos with strength test comparisons but I've not looked in to the matter. I'd guess that dominoes make a stronger joint given the same number of connection points. You could triple up on the number of dowels and get about the same surface area for the glue and physical connection.

The appeal of dominoes - and biscuits - is the speed they offer over doweling. They're much faster to cut and don't require as many connectors. The con is, of course, that expensive, dedicated machines are required.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 am

I watched a video a while back where one of those Russian guys with more time than money built his own domino slot cutter. Matthias Wandel (woodgears.ca) built a panta-router to cut mortises and tenons that is really slick. He can make traditional mortise and tenon joints or cut mortises in both sides of the joint and use a floating tenon like the domino system.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe