Wing Shooting Trap/Skeet

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Wing Shooting Trap/Skeet

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:26 am

I've never shot skeet or trap, in fact I'm not even sure what the difference is. I dove hunted some many years ago and was very mediocre at it at best. I've shot a few quail, not with a dog but just walking them up and I even shot a woodcock once. I've done a little waterfowl hunting in my youth. But my wing shooting skills are very poor, even worse than they used to be I'm sure.

I'm a member of a gun club with a trap range. It's about 65 miles from my house though. There is a closer commercial public trap/skeet range about 30 miles away and they will give instruction to guys like me with little to no experience. So I'm thinking about going there and getting some good instruction. The plan is to take some lessons and then do most of my shooting at the gun club. There are guys there that shoot trap a lot and they would help me out I'm sure but most days the gun club is empty except for some rifle and handgun shooters.

As far as guns go, I have two shotguns that would serve I think. I have a very nice Fausti O/U 12 gauge that I have never fired and I have an ancient (good shape though) Ithaca Flues 16 gauge double but it is chambered for 2 9/16" shells and I have to order 2 1/2" shells for it. I already have hearing and eye protection. Basically, I just want to learn how to become better with the shotgun on moving targets.

I make ends meet but I'm not wealthy, so I was wondering about the costs if I shoot a lot. I have a good handloading set up for rifle and handgun but not shotgun shells. I might bird hunt some in the future, there are some preserves for quail around here and I live on an estuary that is full of ducks and geese. Pretty much I am as ignorant on wingshooting and bird hunting as you can get so I'm looking for any advice and input you guys can give me. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: Wing Shooting Trap/Skeet

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:24 am

Alright, man! This is my wheelhouse, although I'm by no means an expert. I'd defer to Durango and Sweetandsour for the real costs involved. Durango has probably blasted more shells than most living men and sweetandsour is a duck killing mudderhumper. They really know.

You have as many shotguns as you need, but not as many as you'll want. I'd recommend against the Ithaca--I love bird hunting with double guns but the gauge is no longer allowed in competition and believe me, you'll be competing. Add the costs of the shells and just friggin' forget about it.

I think you should go youtube happy for a minute. Theres good stuff out there, and you'll be able to learn a little about skeet and a lot about the mathematics involved in trap shooting. Do not do a google search for skeet unless you're into that sort of thing--always search "skeet shooting shotgun!"

At my club, its 8 bucks for a box of Reo's and fifteen dollars for the birds. So a round of shooting costs 23 dollars. That's why most only shoot a few rounds. Now that's an expensive snooty club and sportsmen's clubs have both better shooters and better prices. Figure in reloading and you save a bundle, but be careful to only pick up good hulls like Winchesters. Bad loads equal bad things.

You dont sound like the easily intimidated type, but relax. It's a pleasant community, full of cigar smoke and relaxed conversation. I can tell you right now we cheer more for the dude breaking his first clay than any old master going 25 straight. And you haven't seen it all until you've watched some old duffer shoot 25 straight at skeet with a pump.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:32 am

Oh, and as to wingshooting, if you dont have a dog you'll need to make friends with someone who does. I've been the bird dog enough in my youth to insist upon this.

Sportsman's clubs around here often have fields that they self-stock with pheasants and chukars. Look into these and guided hunts at cruddy little plantations at first. Best deal I've found around here is 90 bucks for a half day, 6 pheasant and 12 chukar released, self clean.

If you get into it, this is where you'll spend your real money. Bringing home birds at a couple hundred dollars a pound is just the reality.

Even if you make friends with Gabriel, who does things right, you still have to pay to get there!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:55 am

Most of the family went skeet shooting for Thanksgiving. Cocopuff was disappointed that I wouldn't let her try to shoot one, but a 20 gauge is still a little big for her.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:32 am
Oh, and as to wingshooting, if you dont have a dog you'll need to make friends with someone who does. I've been the bird dog enough in my youth to insist upon this.

Sportsman's clubs around here often have fields that they self-stock with pheasants and chukars. Look into these and guided hunts at cruddy little plantations at first. Best deal I've found around here is 90 bucks for a half day, 6 pheasant and 12 chukar released, self clean.

If you get into it, this is where you'll spend your real money. Bringing home birds at a couple hundred dollars a pound is just the reality.

Even if you make friends with Gabriel, who does things right, you still have to pay to get there!
Thanks, that's great advice. There are some hunting preserves in my area. Mostly quail but I think (but I'm not sure) that they stock pheasants too. My club has a nice trap range and whatever that thing is called that launches the clays. I don't know any of those shooters but it's a friendly club so I'm sure they would be happy to teach me the ropes. I'll still probably go to the public range and get a lesson or two to start out though.

As far as ammo goes, I'll probably order in bulk to save money. I have not looked into handloading shotgun shells but I am thinking that it would actually be cheaper to order in bulk. The guys at the club probably order in bulk together. Like I said, I'm not dirt poor and I make ends meet but I am far from wealthy, so I have to watch my money.

I have never fired that Fausti and I have owned it for going on five years. That grates on my nerves. Here's a link to my club in case you are interested in checking it out. Thanks again for the advice.

https://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org/ ... ines/trap/
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm

How competitive do you want to be? You can burn as much or as little $$ as you want, but in general with decent instruction, the more you shoot the faster you'll improve.
Choosing between trap and skeet, consider what chokes your o/u barrels are outfitted with.
Open chokes work for skeet, tighter chokes for trap.
Skeet is up close and fast(don't be surprised if you get peppered with clay fragments) while trap targets are more distant and, outside of competition, more relaxed---or at least slower paced.
If your gun has choke tubes, the world is your oyster. Just select the chokes most suitable for your "game"

Until recently around here, Walmart had the best prices for shells----much cheaper than reloading them. Rule of thumb, #9 or #8.5 for skeet,#7.5 or #8 for trap while #8.5 and #8 good enough for either game(16 yard trap though) One ounce loads are usually cheaper and easier on your shoulder, if that matters---personally I haven't noticed any disadvantage using 1 ouncers but YMMV.

ALL wing shooting my my state requires non-toxic shot, so I won't comment on hunting.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:32 am

Side story: My Dad was a bird hunter when he got back to the states after WWII. He had dogs, pointers, but then he married my Mom and spawned me and my brother and sister and that was the end of that. He did raise quail when we lived on the farm and we used to walk back in the fields and hunt them rarely. I was too small to shoot though. Anyway, he used to tell me about quail hunting in the forties and fifties. He said you'd take your dog, go drive around in the country and pull over when you saw a field that looked good and hunt it. Sometimes the farmer would come out to see how you did and that's how it was. Try that now days and the only person who will come out to see how you did would be a Wildlife Enforcement Officer and/or a Deputy Sheriff. Times change.

The shotgun he used was an old Winchester or Remington Pump that his captain gave him when the left the ship in the Phili shipyard to be broken up at the end of the war. They used to shoot skeet from the back of the ship during the war. That gun shot many doves, quail, ducks and geese but it was stolen during a break in when I was 12. First real firearm I ever shot though. The end.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Two words: Sporting Clays.

That’s the bestest most funnest thing to do with a shotgun and clay targets. It’s golf with a shotgun and different courses provide different presentations and each range can change their course around on occasion. Never gets boring. :D
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Wing Shooting Trap/Skee

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Stan ...

We’re a little busy this weekend, so this won’t be quite as long as I’d like, but let’s keep this thread going and I bet you’ll get a lot of good information from the many folks here who shoot shotguns and hunt birds.

I won’t repeat any of the good advice already posted.

Big initial expenses are club membership (and whatever the ongoing fees might be) and a good gun.
You already know what to expect regarding club costs and you have a fine gun.

Preserve shooting costs will add up quickly if you do it a lot, and as hugo suggested you’ll either need to have a friend with a dog(s) or start thinking about having a bird dog (that’s where the real expenses are). Better: get a map of walk-in state hunting areas. In populated states those areas can get crowded, but in states like Kansas there is lots of state-leased hunting land, it’s uncrowded and you’re hunting over wild birds.

Better still, get to know some farmers!

I’m going to disagree with Hov a little regarding shells. The greatest ongoing expense (other than travel and lodging for hunting, and preserve hunting costs) will be shells. If you get serious, shell cost will really add up. Until a few years ago, and for many years, I regularly shot ~300 shells a week except in the winter. I would definitely suggest eventually learning to load for another reason: being able to load exactly what you want and need.

For a 12 ga. shotgun, the variety of loads you will be able to choose from will be extraordinary, and many loads that you will be able to load will be shells that are either very hard to find commercially or unnecessarily expensive if you can find them.

For example - I highly recommend a light 12ga. target shell with 7/8 to 1 oz. of shot for learning and most practice (except trap). Finding 7/8 oz. target loads for the 12 ga. is nigh unto impossible, but loading them is a piece of cake and inexpensive.

I can send you a boatload of 12ga. AA hulls to get you going if and when the time comes.

Also, loading light loads (both shot charge and powder for reduced velocity and therefore less recoil) not only saves a great deal of money, but will allow you to practice a lot more without fatigue or developing any bad habits due to repetitive heavy recoil.

And when it comes time to go hunting, you’ll be able to tailor your loads to conditions and game (and local regulations).

So ...

Definitely take available lessons! You’re fortunate to have access to them.
Start shooting as much as you can (available time and funds).

Got a copy of Bob Brister’s book, “Shotgunning, The Art and Science” and read it. No, you can’t learn how to shoot from a book, and you won’t absorb all of the information In there in a single reading, but just as with pipes and tobaccos and smoking, much of what you hear from others or read online will be misleading or downright wrong. This book will give you a solid grounding in the basics regarding the technical minutiae of shotgunning, and you’ll know pretty clearly if the advice you’re getting or reading elsewhere is reliable.

If you decide you want to load shells, ask around about a used loader. Start with a used-single stage loader to learn how to load. Some of the guys you'll meet (I hope) may have moved or be in the process of moving up to a progressive loader and wanting to sell their single-stage loaders.

They might even give you a demonstration before you haul it away.

(I’m very partial to Ponsness-Warren, but Metz loaders are everywhere and good.)

Like much else, there’s a bit of a learning curve at the beginning if you want to get serious, but none of this is all that complicated.

Joining a club and getting lessons, figuring out who you’re shooting with knows what they're talking about and who may not be all that reliable will help a lot. (Reading a few good books will help here - I do strongly recommend starting with Brister’s; lots of used copies on Amazon.)

Don’t rush it. Take your time and enjoy it.

And when it comes time to get a bird dog or two, you can always take out a second mortgage on the home, ask your wife to get a second (or third) job and maybe try to get your son or daughter to become a vet. :D

More specifics down the road from hugo, sweetandsour, Hov, Thunk, me and others on the forum who have done a lot of shotgunning. Feel free to ask more questions.

I have a funny feeling this may become one of the more active threads on CPS.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES Google “David McKay Brown round action over-under shotguns.” You have been warned!
Mrs.DP doesn’t know it, but our retirement funds have been in serious jeopardy more than once after I’ve done that.

Finally ...

Is this why you bought a Fausti (These ladies inherited the company and now run it.)

Be honest.
(I have a 12 ga. Fausti, myself.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 pm

On second thought ...
Take up golf, instead, before it’s too late!

Once you get started, there’s no turning back.

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Stanley76

Re: Wing Shooting Trap/Skee

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Stan ...

We’re a little busy this weekend, so this won’t be quite as long as I’d like, but let’s keep this thread going and I bet you’ll get a lot of good information from the many folks here who shoot shotguns and hunt birds.

I won’t repeat any of the good advice already posted.

Big initial expenses are club membership (and whatever the ongoing fees might be) and a good gun.
You already know what to expect regarding club costs and you have a fine gun.

Preserve shooting costs will add up quickly if you do it a lot, and as hugo suggested you’ll either need to have a friend with a dog(s) or start thinking about having a bird dog (that’s where the real expenses are). Better: get a map of walk-in state hunting areas. In populated states those areas can get crowded, but in states like Kansas there is lots of state-leased hunting land, it’s uncrowded and you’re hunting over wild birds.

Better still, get to know some farmers!

I’m going to disagree with Hov a little regarding shells. The greatest ongoing expense (other than travel and lodging for hunting, and preserve hunting costs) will be shells. If you get serious, shell cost will really add up. Until a few years ago, and for many years, I regularly shot ~300 shells a week except in the winter. I would definitely suggest eventually learning to load for another reason: being able to load exactly what you want and need.

For a 12 ga. shotgun, the variety of loads you will be able to choose from will be extraordinary, and many loads that you will be able to load will be shells that are either very hard to find commercially or unnecessarily expensive if you can find them.

For example - I highly recommend a light 12ga. target shell with 7/8 to 1 oz. of shot for learning and most practice (except trap). Finding 7/8 oz. target loads for the 12 ga. is nigh unto impossible, but loading them is a piece of cake and inexpensive.

I can send you a boatload of 12ga. AA hulls to get you going if and when the time comes.

Also, loading light loads (both shot charge and powder for reduced velocity and therefore less recoil) not only saves a great deal of money, but will allow you to practice a lot more without fatigue or developing any bad habits due to repetitive heavy recoil.

And when it comes time to go hunting, you’ll be able to tailor your loads to conditions and game (and local regulations).

So ...

Definitely take available lessons! You’re fortunate to have access to them.
Start shooting as much as you can (available time and funds).

Got a copy of Bob Brister’s book, “Shotgunning, The Art and Science” and read it. No, you can’t learn how to shoot from a book, and you won’t absorb all of the information In there in a single reading, but just as with pipes and tobaccos and smoking, much of what you hear from others or read online will be misleading or downright wrong. This book will give you a solid grounding in the basics regarding the technical minutiae of shotgunning, and you’ll know pretty clearly if the advice you’re getting or reading elsewhere is reliable.

If you decide you want to load shells, ask around about a used loader. Start with a used-single stage loader to learn how to load. Some of the guys you'll meet (I hope) may have moved or be in the process of moving up to a progressive loader and wanting to sell their single-stage loaders.

They might even give you a demonstration before you haul it away.

(I’m very partial to Ponsness-Warren, but Metz loaders are everywhere and good.)

Like much else, there’s a bit of a learning curve at the beginning if you want to get serious, but none of this is all that complicated.

Joining a club and getting lessons, figuring out who you’re shooting with knows what they're talking about and who may not be all that reliable will help a lot. (Reading a few good books will help here - I do strongly recommend starting with Brister’s; lots of used copies on Amazon.)

Don’t rush it. Take your time and enjoy it.

And when it comes time to get a bird dog or two, you can always take out a second mortgage on the home, ask your wife to get a second (or third) job and maybe try to get your son or daughter to become a vet. :D

More specifics down the road from hugo, sweetandsour, Hov, Thunk, me and others on the forum who have done a lot of shotgunning. Feel free to ask more questions.

I have a funny feeling this may become one of the more active threads on CPS.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES Google “David McKay Brown round action over-under shotguns.” You have been warned!
Mrs.DP doesn’t know it, but our retirement funds have been in serious jeopardy more than once after I’ve done that.

Finally ...

Is this why you bought a Fausti (These ladies inherited the company and now run it.)

Be honest.
(I have a 12 ga. Fausti, myself.)
Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I have been handloading for several years now. Unfortunately my press is a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker and it looks like they aren't designed for shotgun shells. Oh well. I'll stick my toe in the water first and if I get addicted to it, I'll think about handloading. Looks like the MEC loaders are the least expensive. All that can wait though.

And actually I bought the Fausti on impulse at a local gun store years ago. I only found out later that the company is owned by three smoking hot women. That shotgun is almost as pretty as they are. I am immunized against buying any higher end shotguns because I am firmly planted in the middle class and on a fixed income.

I do know some farmers around here. Thing is most of the hunters around here are deer hunters. I don't know a single bird hunter (except waterfowl). I'm not sure about the quail population due to all the foxes, coyotes and bobcats around here. There's even red wolves.

I did see a covey on my roadside a month or so ago right across from my house. I was surprised to see them. There's 56 acres of logged out cutdown there that's full of brush but you'd absolutely need a dog to even attempt to hunt it and even then it would be tough in most places due to four to six foot scrub. It's for sale for 1000.00 an acre and will probably sell for half that. Unfortunately I don't have the money. It's full of deer and rabbits and just about everything else though.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:47 pm

For shot shell presses, the cheapest entry is a Lee. I know fine shooters who have stuck with their Lees for decades.
I have a well used MEC "Junior" I bought out of the bed of a pick up truck from some guy at a factory outlet parking lot for $30.
Lees come with everything you need to start loading except for components while MECs require bushings and misc. stuff depending on what you want to do. If you're used to metallic reloading, the MEC has the "feel" while the Lee is...well...different. Your shotgun won't know the difference and neither will your shells.
One caution about used MECs is that real old ones may no longer have parts available from the factory, so if you go that route know which model AND age of the press you're considering.
For hulls, I like higher end hulls with real brass heads like Winchester AAs and Remington STS---they hold up for many reloadings. The cheap Walmart hulls can also be reloaded, but the don't last nearly as long. The cheapies with plated steel heads (in my opinion) are harder on extractors/ejectors but honestly I have no proof to offer.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:52 pm

There's an old book by Gene Hill titled Hunters Fireside Book, that includes the story "A Helping Hand". This thread sort of reminds me of that piece.

Anyway, all of the advice given already is good stuff. I'll add a few things when I get to my desk. But for now, good luck finding a place to bird hunt.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 am

I downloaded "Shotgunning, The Art and Science" on my Kindle last night. Looking forward to reading it. I have some old books from years ago that I will read. They're not instructional books but they are basically compilations of articles from old sporting magazines from the fifties and sixties, Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, that sort of thing. There are some bird hunting stories/articles in there and I'll break them out and reread them. My Dad subscribed to Outdoor Life and Sports Afield in the sixties when I was a kid and when I bought those books in the nineties I would come across an article that I remembered reading when I was between 11 and 15 years old. I love it when that happens.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:00 pm

I, being expert at putting the cart before the horse, have been checking out some of the shotgun shell reloading options and getting some information from the internet. If I enjoy this new sport (for me) I'll probably end up adding a shotgun shell reloader to my bench. Looks easier than loading rifle and handgun cartridges. Watched a few shooting instructional videos on Youtube too. I like getting fired up over something new to learn.

Also, this prompted me to organize my bench and I'm going to load up some .44 Special "Keith" loads tomorrow, 7 1/2 gr. of Unique with 240 grain Keith lead bullets. I have a Ruger Flattop Bisley that I haven't shot in forever and plenty of bullets, powder and brass. Tomorrow is going to be rainy, so it'll be a handloading day after church.

Basically, I'm just commenting to bump this thread and keep it going.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 am

Here's what I've done in the world of instructional shotgunning---
In a dimly lit room, place a small box on the floor up against a plain wall. imagine this to be the trap house.
Rubber band a tightly focused mini flashlight to the barrel of an unloaded shotgun and after showing the student how to hold it in ready position and mount the gun, let them hold it with the flashlight " on." Imagine the beam on the wall as the shot swarm or pattern.
With the gun in ready position, take a laser pointer and slowly trace an arc from the box trap house to the floor. Imagine the laser beam is the target.
Have the "shooter" call the bird "pull" and start the arc.
The shooter mounts the gun finding and following the swarm with the beam, indicating when their taking the shot with "bang"
Work on taking the shot before the "bird" reaches the apex of the laser's arc and work on following the target with the beam all the way down to the end of the arc after "firing" No stopping!

We'd do this the evening before heading to the range, maybe twenty times with varied arcs after the shooter is able to perform the task smoothly.
Remember the shotgun is unloaded!
This exercise seems to help the Scouts on their way to earning the Shotgun Merit Badge (18 out of 25 birds IIRC).

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:30 am

Round action shotgun porn.

Yowza.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:35 pm

“hovaness” wrote:... No stopping!
Absolutely.

You’re going to get a lot of advice, Stan.
That is good advice.

I’m somewhat loathe to offer my 2 cents at a distance, but I do so love shotgunning - so here goes.

If you are going to shoot trap or skeet look them up - knowing what the trap field looks like and what a skeet range setup is will suggest the kinds of shots you will see shooting trap or skeet. You will not see anything approaching a long quartering shot at skeet, and you will not see a close, fast crossing shot at trap. Neither will present a high overhead, long crossing or incoming shot - or any of an unimaginable number of unique shots that will appear perhaps once in the life of a wingshooter.

(Ask S&S! He’s seen woodcock presentations I’ll never see - and, by the way, you’re still blessed with woodcock in your coastal areas.)

Sporting Clays courses can be set up to show you many different kinds of shots, but remember: no matter the shot on a clay target, it is always technically “falling.” It is always on a ballistic trajectory. Birds fly. They climb. They dive. They dart.

You'll soon discover that there are “schools” of shotgunning that offer several quite different explanations and approaches for smashing targets or hitting birds. (And too many shooting instructors are hidebound converts to “schools” of shooting.)

It’s going to seem quite confusing if you try to listen to everyone (especially if the person advising you is coming from a shotgun game that is not where you are heading) - and even more likely, if you’re hearing what may seem like contradictory advice from knowledgeable shooters (remember what you heard when you started smoking a pipe?).

Not, mind you, that any of them are wrong.

Target shooters often adopt and use a narrow range of approaches or may even commit to a single technique.
Hunters (and many clays shooters) most often learn, and use, several different approaches depending on the shot presented.

Wingshooting is of necessity more instinctive and less calculated than skeet and trap.

Just like the pipe, personal experience and personal goals are important factors.

The most universally applicable advice I’ve ever heard (came from a great historical wingshot), whatever technique you are using, is to, “Keep your head down, and the gun moving.”

After a few seasons of live shells and broken targets or killed birds (like I said, don’t rush it - besides, learning this is not anything other than great fun), I am going to guess that your own approach will see something of an amalgamation of the named and taught approaches.

Shoot, shoot, shoot. That’s my advice.
Every smashed bird is a victory. Every missed one, a learning experience.

And this bit of personal advice (take it or leave it): if your primary goal is to be an excellent wingshot, shoot practice clay targets with a safely pointed, unmounted gun. (Clay bird games began this way, and some are still conducted this way.)

If you primarily want to win at skeet and trap, ignore this advice.

For a bird hunter no approach to shotgunning is worth a hoot without a proper gun mount, and there’s no way for the mount to become flawlessly repeatable without tremendous repetition.

Enough.

Go shoot!

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it. I'm really getting fired up on this. I went to church this morning and after talked to a buddy of mine there (deputy sheriff) who married up and his wife's family owns a huge farm. He told me to come over one day and we'll shoot some clay pigeons at his place. He's got the set up to launch them (I don't know what that's called....launcher?) and he loves to shoot. I didn't asking him about hunting on the farm but I'm hoping he'll invite me. He's got a lab, not a pointer or setter but I'm betting he does some bird hunting. I also remembered that my sister's brother-in-law owns a farm on the other side of the river. He's always wanting me to come over and deer hunt but back when he was younger bird hunting was his thing. No dog though.

I'm still going to go to the public range and take a lesson or two and I'll be taking all the advice you guys are giving me in the meantime. After that I'll meet some guys at the club and start shooting there. Until then I'll be practicing bringing the gun up and swinging it. I think I have a flashlight that will work on the barrel. I might even walk across the road and see if I can call up some crows. This place is full of them. That Fausti needs to come out of the safe and see the light of day. I've got a feeling this is going to be fun. Thanks again for the advice.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm

(I don't know what that's called....launcher?)
Retailers usually call them traps or some variation of clay target “thrower.”
Shooters usually just call them traps.

Fantastic!

You’ll likely meet and become friends with some more friendly guys willing to share land and their traps.
The shotgunning and wingshooting fraternity is among the friendliest (and most gracious) I have had the pleasure to enjoy.
That Fausti needs to come out of the safe
Post a photo. We’d love to see it!