Christmas and Holiday Blends

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:11 pm

It is that time of year, a crispness in the air, maybe a morning frost or coating of new snow and Peretti's Thanksgiving Day blend got me thinking about other seasonal blends. There are quite a few of them out there so I was wondering which ones have your tried? Which ones did you like? Do you reorder any each year? Or, are there regular blends that for one reason or another you think of them as your Christmas wintertime blend?

I am very interested to see what gets talked about as I am thinking of trying a seasonal blend this year.

Thanks in advance for your comments (even you JimVH).
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: Christmas and Holiday Blends

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

I used to buy a tin or two of Christmas Cheer, and for the last two or three years I've bought the c&d holiday blend. With both, some year's versions are better than others, to my taste of course. When I first joined this forum 11 or 12 years ago, the going after-Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas smoke was GLP Westminster. I may still have a tin. I need to check.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm
I used to buy a tin or two of Christmas Cheer, and for the last two or three years I've bought the c&d holiday blend. With both, some year's versions are better than others, to my taste of course. When I first joined this forum 11 or 12 years ago, the going after-Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas smoke was GLP Westminster. I may still have a tin. I need to check.
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Interesting about GLP Westminster being a popular holiday time smoke back then.

This years C&D is "Corn Cob Pipe." Have you tried that one (I think they did the same blend a year or two ago)?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Interesting about GLP Westminster being a popular holiday time smoke back then.

This years C&D is "Corn Cob Pipe." Have you tried that one (I think they did the same blend a year or two ago)?
My fav was two years ago, at the recommendation of JimVH and Durango. I'll have to look up the name. Last year was St. Nick, iirc, and was nice but not as good as '17s. This year's CC Pipe is also nice smoke but not as good as I remember the 2017 version. Maybe it's the same name or same blend, but not as good as I remember. I've never tried the Peretti Thanksgiving blend but it looks interesting.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:11 pm
Since you asked... I buy a Christmas blend of some sort every year. My first flirt with a heavy burley was a blend several years ago called Carolina Christmas by Low Country. It was such a nice surprise I started buying a seasonal blend every year.
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm
My fav was two years ago, at the recommendation of JimVH and Durango.
Days of Yore.

I haven't opened a tin of Corn Cob Pipe, yet, but if it's anything like Jolly Old St. Nicholas it won't hold a candle to the Yore. I really enjoyed that stuff.

St. Nick is a pleasant, enjoyable aro, but for my tastes, Yore had a lot more depth of flavor and was bolder overall.

And, it was not cloying in the least (you had to expect that).
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Since you asked... I buy a Christmas blend of some sort every year. My first flirt with a heavy burley was a blend several years ago called Carolina Christmas by Low Country. It was such a nice surprise I started buying a seasonal blend every year.
sweetandsour wrote:
Days of Yore.

I haven't opened a tin of Corn Cob Pipe, yet, but if it's anything like Jolly Old St. Nicholas it won't hold a candle to the Yore. I really enjoyed that stuff.

St. Nick is a pleasant, enjoyable aro, but for my tastes, Yore had a lot more depth of flavor and was bolder overall.

That's it! Days of Yore. It was so awesome I still have the empty tin.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I’ve tried three of the C&D holiday blends, We three kings, Corn Cob Pipe, and St. Nic, the last of which was by far my favorite, love that Gran Monier flavor, haven’t tried Days of Yore though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29 pm
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Days of Yore.

Yore welcome.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:41 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29 pm
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Days of Yore.

Yore welcome.
:)