I'm This Many (CPS) Years Old!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

I'm This Many (CPS) Years Old!

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am

11!

Now for a CPS mystery:

I was going to say (based on my joined date 'neath muh avatar) that it's my anniversary...but then I remembered Onyx joined one day before me and I could've sworn his was Dec 2nd...

Then I looked up some old threadz, like my 1 Year Anniversary Party where I found this information:
tuttle wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:47 pm
tuttle invites you to celebrate his 1 Year Anniversary on CPS on Dec. 3rd 2009.

Even though it's tomorrow, the party starts now. :dance:

Feel free to send tuttle any gifts for this special event.

BYOB. and please drive home safely.
Now even though no one sent me any gifts and everyone stole all my beer, note that my anniversary was Dec 3rd!!!

Then I checked Onyx...it said he joined Dec 1st...and not Dec 2nd like I always remembered...

So for my CPS birthday present I set before us a Quest. Why did (I assume everyone's but I only remember) me and Onyx's Join dates move back a day?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: I'm This Many (CPS) Years Old!

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 am

Black hole.
Time warp.

It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:18 am

It says Dec 3.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:18 am
It says Dec 3.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Happy CPS b-day.

I have like 2 or 3 years coming up.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Almost 4 years old.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm

4 in Feb or March. Coco got drunk and punched a lamb that he mistook for a goat.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

smokadoro
Tribe Member
Tribe Member

Post by smokadoro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am
So for my CPS birthday present I set before us a Quest. Why did (I assume everyone's but I only remember) me and Onyx's Join dates move back a day?
Was there a database conversion at some point? Like a crash and restore from backup onto a newer version? Could be that it was originally on a database system that started counting lists at index 1, but the newer version/system counts lists beginning at 0.

That, and dates and calendar math have always been hard for computers to get right. As in, a failure to properly account for leap years. Take the following scenario: The forums might keep track of your start date by the quantity of days it has counted since you joined, relying on its own ability to calculate back to your start date. But if it didn't account for leap years, it would calculate off by 1 day every 4 years.

Neither precisely explains the details of your situation, but both are at least plausible.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 am

Fainn wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm
4 in Feb or March. Coco got drunk and punched a lamb that he mistook for a goat.
:oops:

I'm never going to live that one down.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:33 am

smokadoro wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm
tuttle wrote:
Was there a database conversion at some point? Like a crash and restore from backup onto a newer version? Could be that it was originally on a database system that started counting lists at index 1, but the newer version/system counts lists beginning at 0.

That, and dates and calendar math have always been hard for computers to get right. As in, a failure to properly account for leap years. Take the following scenario: The forums might keep track of your start date by the quantity of days it has counted since you joined, relying on its own ability to calculate back to your start date. But if it didn't account for leap years, it would calculate off by 1 day every 4 years.

Neither precisely explains the details of your situation, but both are at least plausible.
I believe that there was a conversion a few years ago, though I was not involved in the process.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 am

smokadoro wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Yeah there was some sort of conversion I think. Maybe in 2014ish?

I was hoping for something more sensational though. You got anything more sensational?

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 am
smokadoro wrote:
tuttle wrote:

I was hoping for something more sensational though. You got anything more sensational?
Like a shift in the space-time continuum?
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am
tuttle wrote:
smokadoro wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Now we're talkin'

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:39 pm

JimVH wrote:
tuttle wrote:
smokadoro wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Or a Leap Year?
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:39 pm
JimVH wrote:
tuttle wrote:
smokadoro wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Or a Leap Year?
There really is a shift in the space-time continuum!!

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Just had my 12 year. Weird to think it has been that long. This was the thread I posted recently about that.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47217

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:47 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Just had my 12 year. Weird to think it has been that long. This was the thread I posted recently about that.

Wait.

Lush is back? Welcome Doc!
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:47 pm
LushMojo wrote:

Wait.

Hey man. How ya been?

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm
sysiphus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:47 pm
LushMojo wrote:

Wait.

Hey man. How ya been?
Doing great! Retired out of the Army, making sweet, sweet, filthy DoD contractor lucre, kids aren't on meth... It's a good life.

How about you? Curing cancer and hiding it from the Illuminatti?
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed