Dual Component Black Epoxy For Vulcanite Stem Repair?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Dual Component Black Epoxy For Vulcanite Stem Repair?

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm

I am wondering if anyone has found a good way to fill tooth impressions on Vulcanite stems. I hesitate to get this product because I have no idea how it will adhere. Also, even though it says it is sandable, if it is much harder than Vulcanite, the repair won't be even.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Re: Dual Component Black Epoxy For Vulcanite Stem Repair?

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Goose, check out https://rebornpipes.com/.

They use black superglue.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks! YOu steered me in the right direction. Reviews of this include those who have repaired pipe stems. Premium Rubber Toughened CA - Black Super Glue. Vulcanite is hardened rubber so this looks like it might be the ticket. I took the leap and purchased this on Amazon....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 pm
GaryInVA wrote:

Thanks! You steered me in the right direction. Reviews of this product include those who have successfully repaired pipe stems. "Premium Rubber Toughened CA - Black Super Glue." Vulcanite is hardened rubber so this looks like it might be the ticket. I took the leap and purchased this on Amazon....

If this is successful I will report back to share how it went with before and after pictures.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm
Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

Thanks! You steered me in the right direction. Reviews of this product include those who have successfully repaired pipe stems. "Premium Rubber Toughened CA - Black Super Glue." Vulcanite is hardened rubber so this looks like it might be the ticket. I took the leap and purchased this on Amazon....

If this is successful I will report back to share how it went with before and after pictures.
Looking forward to seeing your results.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm
Goose55 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:

Looking forward to seeing your results.
He’s gonna patch stems and not tell anybody.

Praying.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 pm

I have used black dyed CA glue to fix holes and chips in stems. You may find a slight difference in the color of the original stem and the repair; especially if the vulcanite stem oxidizes. As far as integrity, CA glue works.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:28 pm

OK, here you can see the Vulcanite stem tooth impression after I abbraided it with a tiny steel pick.....

I applied less than a drop of Starbond Black so that it was a little above the surface. Minutes later, after the vehicle had evaporated out of it, that level dropped and I had to apply more. I then let it dry and cure for a few hours. Here is the patch ready for sanding....

Notice the white film encircling the patch. This is due to my not first using acetone to thoroughly clean the cavity. But that can be remedied.

ImageImage

The white residue was neutralized by a bit of acetone on a small wad of paper towel. Here is the restoration complete! I can not tell where the patch was made. First use of Starbond a 100% success!! ....