Balkan Sobranie In Stock at SP

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Balkan Sobranie In Stock at SP

Post by arank87 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Re: Balkan Sobranie In Stock at SP

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Get it while it's hot!!!!

Wish they had tinned Penzance
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 pm
Get it while it's hot!!!!

Wish they had tinned Penzance
Me too. Glad I got my tin if BS though.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Well that took all of about 3 hours
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Typical. Pretty frustrating and I even got a tin!

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 pm

I had the original once many years ago. I was young and dumb and turned my nose up. I mean everyone knows real pipe tobacco is aromatic.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:45 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 pm
I had the original once many years ago. I was young and dumb and turned my nose up. I mean everyone knows real pipe tobacco is aromatic.
8-O

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 pm

arank87 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:45 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 pm
8-O
IKR
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Didn't we all start with something "Flavored"? I got into coffee flavored tobaccos. Then I wanted to learn what these "Virginia" blends were...NASTY...but I soon got into the English and then the Balkan blends and now I am a flavor snob, and having to learn about good topped blends.

Balkan Sobranie (Re-issue) is a great blend and I stocked up when they re-introduced it, but I never tried the original. I have a buddy that I some times get to smoke with who told me that he was gifted 2 bowls of the original several years ago, and it was the best smoke he had ever had.

There are a few that are supposed to be close replacements.

Hearth & Home "White Knight"
Hearth & Home "Black House"
C&D Star of the East (Not an attempt to match BS but rather a very similar blend)

...and now for the 2 best -- but alas not available either.

McClelland:
1) Yenidje Highlander (Not an attempt to match BS but rather a very similar blend) This is the blend I miss most...but it was gone even before
Mc shut down, because it was made with Syrian Latakia.
2) Blue Mountain (later called Balkan Blue) It was blended to match BS

If you are looking for a solid "Close" blend you should try Balkan Sasieni...its is a very nice blend and very close to the re-issue of Balkan Sobranie.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 pm

I, too, had managed to be be gifted also a bowl or two of the original (sorry can't remember which of the brothers here it was but thanks once again), as well and definitely a very good Oriental forward blend. Poeschl Esclusiv No.1 Royal is another very good oriental forward blend though not really an attempt to be a BS replacement
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm
Didn't we all start with something "Flavored"? I got into coffee flavored tobaccos. Then I wanted to learn what these "Virginia" blends were...NASTY...but I soon got into the English and then the Balkan blends and now I am a flavor snob, and having to learn about good topped blends.

Balkan Sobranie (Re-issue) is a great blend and I stocked up when they re-introduced it, but I never tried the original. I have a buddy that I some times get to smoke with who told me that he was gifted 2 bowls of the original several years ago, and it was the best smoke he had ever had.

There are a few that are supposed to be close replacements.

Hearth & Home "White Knight"
Hearth & Home "Black House"
C&D Star of the East (Not an attempt to match BS but rather a very similar blend)

...and now for the 2 best -- but alas not available either.

McClelland:
1) Yenidje Highlander (Not an attempt to match BS but rather a very similar blend) This is the blend I miss most...but it was gone even before
Mc shut down, because it was made with Syrian Latakia.
2) Blue Mountain (later called Balkan Blue) It was blended to match BS

If you are looking for a solid "Close" blend you should try Balkan Sasieni...its is a very nice blend and very close to the re-issue of Balkan Sobranie.
I’ve heard Star of the East be compared to Penzance. Never had either but it’s interesting.