Boomer Stuff

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Boomer Stuff

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am

Any of you other old guys remember practicing getting under your desk in school and practicing Duck and Cover in case of a nuclear strike from Russia/Cuba? Pretty cool stuff although I don't know how much good it would have done.

Also, a B-52 crashed about 30 miles from my house in 1961. It was carrying two nukes. On one of the bombs all the fail-safes failed except for one. My house wouldn't have been in the main blast radius but I would probably have died from radiation poisoning if it had detonated.

Here's the Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: Boomer Stuff

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 am

I grew up a few miles away from a nuclear reactor (the first one) and we did those drills all the way through high school.

Theres supposedly a bomber in one of the Pittsburgh rivers.

So you do not have to be a boomer on this one.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 am
I grew up a few miles away from a nuclear reactor (the first one) and we did those drills all the way through high school.

Theres supposedly a bomber in one of the Pittsburgh rivers.

So you do not have to be a boomer on this one.
Bet y'all didn't have Bert the Turtle.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11 am

I remember watching this film.

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am

I had a restless sleep the other night and for some reason that irritating phrase "ok Boomer" was going through my head and I pursued an appropriate response. I woke to the following....

If some whipper snapper is thinking they'll be snarky and dis you in a single stroke with "OK Boomer" just have a simple response of

"OK Googler"

It's your experience vs. their search results.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 am

I don't remember any films or drills, but I remember my teacher In Oct 1962 going through the class roll, asking each of us whether or not we would stay at school if a missile from Cuba was headed our direction. My instructions from home were to leave the school and run home. The teacher noted each child's plan and turned the list in to the office.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 am

We had drills through 6th grade. We lived and live less than 75 miles from Cheyenne Mountain so I always figured that we were on the top of the Hit List. For some reason in 7th grade we didn't do the drills anymore...I guess the threat was over or they figured by 7th grade we should know how to get under a desk
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 am

I remember drills in grade school. I also remember my teachers hammering fear into our heads because our little town had a USGS office and a small university that did "government work". We were sure to be destroyed in an attack.

These were the same teachers who told us we were all going to freeze in an ice age, burn-up by the sun, and drown from subsidence, all in our lifetime.

In retrospect, it seems like the only thing we were taught was fear.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 am
I remember drills in grade school. I also remember my teachers hammering fear into our heads because our little town had a USGS office and a small university that did "government work". We were sure to be destroyed in an attack.

These were the same teachers who told us we were all going to freeze in an ice age, burn-up by the sun, and drown from subsidence, all in our lifetime.

some things haven't changed...
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am
I had a restless sleep the other night and for some reason that irritating phrase "ok Boomer" was going through my head and I pursued an appropriate response. I woke to the following....

If some whipper snapper is thinking they'll be snarky and dis you in a single stroke with "OK Boomer" just have a simple response of

"OK Googler"

Ok, boomer.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am

I remember duck and cover, and those orange-yellow siren towers.
And tying empty plastic bags in knots.
And Willie Mayes saying: "Do not touch them."
And every town had at least one really good Army Navy Surplus store
and a Woolworths with a lunch counter.
And getting dressed up to go downtown
And of course, Conelrad.
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

FredS
Laid-Back VSCO Girl
Laid-Back VSCO Girl

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:42 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 am

I grew up near an army ammunition plant and there were buried nuclear missile silos all around us so we were told we'd be a target also. We were also in 'tornado alley' so we had those drills too. I remember being confused by fire drills, tornado drills, and bomb drills as they all required different actions. I didn't 'get it' until I was in fourth grade.

In other news:
A movie named The Day After was filmed in my hometown in '83. It's about a nuclear exchange between the US and the Soviet U***n and it freaked people the eff out. I'd moved away at that point, but my youngest brother is in some crowd scenes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am

The original SHTF movie
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 am
gaining_age wrote:

"OK Googler"

Ok, boomer.
OK Googler
The 6s of 1st John:

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 am
gaining_age wrote:

"OK Googler"

Ok, boomer.
OK Googler
"Hey Google, give me an insult for a Boomer."
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am
And of course, Conelrad.
Awesome! You just reminded me of the blasting caps public service announcements. Thinking back on it, there must have been millions of blasting caps all over ground throughout America for some reason. I never saw one but once I thought I did. Of course I picked it up. It was an old battery though, so I didn't lose any fingers. I never was very bright or good at following instructions.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm

There was a time B-52's loaded with nuclear weapons were in the air 24/7 flying in a pattern around the North Pole just waiting for the word to hit targets in the Soviet U***n. With aerial refueling they can stay up there indefinitely.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am
And of course, Conelrad.
Awesome! You just reminded me of the blasting caps public service announcements. Thinking back on it, there must have been millions of blasting caps all over ground throughout America for some reason. I never saw one but once I thought I did. Of course I picked it up. It was an old battery though, so I didn't lose any fingers. I never was very bright or good at following instructions.
When I was 8 years old we were stationed at Cooks Barracks, Germany. I found a live mortar shell in a paper bag in the woods by our quarters. Told my Dad and a bomb squad came out and removed it.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am
Any of you other old guys remember practicing getting under your desk in school and practicing Duck and Cover in case of a nuclear strike from Russia/Cuba? Pretty cool stuff although I don't know how much good it would have done.

Also, a B-52 crashed about 30 miles from my house in 1961. It was carrying two nukes. On one of the bombs all the fail-safes failed except for one. My house wouldn't have been in the main blast radius but I would probably have died from radiation poisoning if it had detonated.

Here's the Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
I have witnessed a single engine plane crash. All on board survived.
I only fart around people I like. Loved ones are warned.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 pm

I wonder if any Boomers ever named one of their kids Conelrad?