Boomer Stuff

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel

Re: Boomer Stuff

Post by Del » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am
Any of you other old guys remember practicing getting under your desk in school and practicing Duck and Cover in case of a nuclear strike from Russia/Cuba? Pretty cool stuff although I don't know how much good it would have done.

Also, a B-52 crashed about 30 miles from my house in 1961. It was carrying two nukes. On one of the bombs all the fail-safes failed except for one. My house wouldn't have been in the main blast radius but I would probably have died from radiation poisoning if it had detonated.

Here's the Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
I have witnessed a single engine plane crash. All on board survived.
Most single-engine crashes are fender-benders. We are slow and light and there's not a whole lot of kinetic energy to deal with. We can glide and land just about anywhere, but most open terrain is a bit rough for our stubby landing gear.
REMEMBER THE FISA ABUSE!
REMEMBER KAVANAUGH!
REMEMBER THE IMPEACHMENT!

But you can safely ignore all those California warning labels. Just sayin'...

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 pm

I also vividly remember vaccination lines in school.

No HIPAA, no OSHA, just rapid fire jabs and stabs out in front of the world.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Ah yes! Remember when---what was it, Polio? Some vaccine anyway, got placed on sugar cubes? A little red mark and we thought it was pretty great idea at the time :D
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:59 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am
I had a restless sleep the other night and for some reason that irritating phrase "ok Boomer" was going through my head and I pursued an appropriate response. I woke to the following....

If some whipper snapper is thinking they'll be snarky and dis you in a single stroke with "OK Boomer" just have a simple response of

"OK Googler"

It's your experience vs. their search results.
Brilliant!

I will employ this if I'm ever accused of being a boomer.

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 am

Riding my bike to Agnes Fullilove Grade School. It was a two mile ride (I just checked on google) down the Farmville Highway and then up Dickinson Avenue in town. Both were heavily trafficked. I never got hit by a car. The bike rack was by the lunchroom which didn't serve cooked lunches just milk. You brought your own lunch in a paper bag or a lunch box if you were a rich kid. Each classroom had a cloak room with swinging doors, hooks to hang your coat on and a shelf for your lunch bag with your name written on it.

We didn't even know what bike locks were but none were ever stolen. I rode the bus up until 4th or 5th grade and when it was raining. The bus (number 99) went way out in the country picking up kids. Two twins would get on and the whole bus would smell like bacon because their Mom slicked their hair down with bacon grease. I'd also ride my bike up the the Moose Pool in the summer. A quarter would get you in and buy you a Pepsi in a bottle and Zero bar. My Dad caught my big sister riding on the back of one of the lifeguard's motorcycle. She got in trouble and I loved it. This picture is when i got my bike at Christmas and it's stripped down but soon it had closepin/baseball card noise maker on the front. Good memories.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 am
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Ah yes! Remember when---what was it, Polio? Some vaccine anyway, got placed on sugar cubes? A little red mark and we thought it was pretty great idea at the time :D
I remember the cube. Seems like I had to drink some purple liquid once, too. I'm automatically suspect of anyone without the little scar of love on their arm.

You googlers can look it up.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 am
Riding my bike to Agnes Fullilove Grade School. It was a two mile ride (I just checked on google) down the Farmville Highway and then up Dickinson Avenue in town. Both were heavily trafficked. I never got hit by a car. The bike rack was by the lunchroom which didn't serve cooked lunches just milk. You brought your own lunch in a paper bag or a lunch box if you were a rich kid. Each classroom had a cloak room with swinging doors, hooks to hang your coat on and a shelf for your lunch bag with your name written on it.

We didn't even know what bike locks were but none were ever stolen. I rode the bus up until 4th or 5th grade and when it was raining. The bus (number 99) went way out in the country picking up kids. Two twins would get on and the whole bus would smell like bacon because their Mom slicked their hair down with bacon grease. I'd also ride my bike up the the Moose Pool in the summer. A quarter would get you in and buy you a Pepsi in a bottle and Zero bar. My Dad caught my big sister riding on the back of one of the lifeguard's motorcycle. She got in trouble and I loved it. This picture is when i got my bike at Christmas and it's stripped down but soon it had closepin/baseball card noise maker on the front. Good memories.

Cloak rooms! Yeah! At the parochial school I attended they had a unique smell, I think from the cheese or tuna sandwiches we kids brought to school on Fridays.
Fresno is considered a desert and many schools here had bicycle sheds, low wooden open sided sheds covering the bike racks to shield our Schwinns from direct sunlight all day so we wouldn't burn our hands on our bikes after school.
The bike racks under the shed always filled up first, of course.

I haven't seen a bicycle shed anywhere in many decades
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 am

Boomers: the Least Self Aware Generation Ever.

You boys miss the Mayberry-like existence of life when you were kids, eh, Boomer?

Then why'd you kill it? Communities need involved citizens to thrive. As a whole, the Boomers were so busy attaining their own pleasures. Executives worked long, long hours selling the blue collar family down the river while "raising" fatherless sons of their own. Women couldn't be libbed without a generation of motherless children cooking their own dinners. And everybody screwed and divorced so much the family is gone now.

And what's the lasting legacy? Amazon. Web-based companies that sell cheaper and have the advantage of delivering right to your door. You lament the loss of mom and pop stores? Why no tobacconist's? Look at your buying habits. Do you patronize the local tobacconist's? The local shoe store? Independent tradesmen?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 am
Boomers: the Least Self Aware Generation Ever.

You boys miss the Mayberry-like existence of life when you were kids, eh, Boomer?

Then why'd you kill it? Communities need involved citizens to thrive. As a whole, the Boomers were so busy attaining their own pleasures. Executives worked long, long hours selling the blue collar family down the river while "raising" fatherless sons of their own. Women couldn't be libbed without a generation of motherless children cooking their own dinners. And everybody screwed and divorced so much the family is gone now.

And what's the lasting legacy? Amazon. Web-based companies that sell cheaper and have the advantage of delivering right to your door. You lament the loss of mom and pop stores? Why no tobacconist's? Look at your buying habits. Do you patronize the local tobacconist's? The local shoe store? Independent tradesmen?
Yep, to two out of the three. I have no tobacconist within 140 miles of me but if there was one, I'd be in there so much they'd roll their eyes and say, " oh no, here comes Stan, don't make eye contact" when they saw me lumbering up to the door with a big grin on my face.

But I have to agree, painted with a broad brush and generally speaking we boomers did royally screw up western society and culture. No two ways about it. Or at least the boomers who infiltrated the educational institutions, entertainment industry and media did. Cultural poison. Very toxic to civilization.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

FredS
Laid-Back VSCO Girl
Laid-Back VSCO Girl

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!
Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.
Some love too little, some too long,
Some sell, and others buy;
Some do the deed with many tears,
And some without a sigh:
For each man kills the thing he loves,
Yet each man does not die.

― Oscar Wilde
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Don't sweat it. My generation is fuggin' the place up now. I just like stirring up boomers. No offense to anyone. Love you all.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Don't sweat it. My generation is fuggin' the place up now. I just like stirring up boomers. No offense to anyone. Love you all.
But you're right!
Boomers were sold a bill of faulty goods.
Not enough of us heard of Marshall McLuhan, I guessImage

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Sissy bars and banana seats.

If you were elite level cool, I was not, you had a steering wheel on your Western Flyer.

The trifecta:

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Sissy bars and banana seats.

If you were elite level cool, you had a steering wheel on your Western Flyer.

The trifecta:
I had this bike but with apehanger handle bars. Loved the shifter.

PS, rotate the forks 180 degrees or you'll knock out your front teeth
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm
Me, too. Purple with a gold metal flake banana seat. Kinda pimpish, huh.

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:42 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Woah, mine was purple with a purple metakflake seat and white cable housings.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:38 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:42 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Woah, mine was purple with a purple metakflake seat and white cable housings.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Schwinn orange krate pea picker, lemon peeler series of bicycles were the ones everybody wanted when I was a kid.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm
Schwinn orange krate pea picker, lemon peeler series of bicycles were the ones everybody wanted when I was a kid.
Dude...

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm
Dude...

I still want one!
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing