Musty Taste

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I recently bought an estate Stanwell billiard from SP. Their estates are pretty much spotless and have no lingering smell or taste. Having switched to filters I am smoking to the bottom of the bowl way more than I used to. With this pipe, when I got the last 1/4 of a bowl I get a very strong, musty old-pipe taste. It tastes like the smell of an unclean 50 year old pipe. Also sometimes it tastes like burning wood?! I’ve checked when I empty the pipe and I don’t see any charring at the bottom or sides of the bowl but this taste is bad. Anyone else get this?
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9800
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 pm

I am a Salt Treatment guy. I know there are some here that over clean and some who don't clean...for my estate pipes, I ream them, Salt Treat them, and clean them with Everclear. I think that musty bad taste is left over that can be removed with salt and everclear.

Good luck with it
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Dear pipelover:

That pipe was made by Oleg and sold to Sven. Oleg knew what he was doing, but Sven didn't. Sven smoked snus after he chewed it. You are going to die. So are we all, of course, but you first.

Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9800
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Dear pipelover:

That pipe was made by Oleg and sold to Sven. Oleg knew what he was doing, but Sven didn't. Sven smoked snus after he chewed it. You are going to die. So are we all, of course, but you first.

Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
rgcurrey
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Posts: 2760
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana

Re: Musty Taste

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:01 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Well first of all are you smoking your snus pre or post chew?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
I smoked cigarettes for years and never got tongue bite from them but cigars and pipes usually burn me at least a little. I looked into filt-pads but the price was just too high. Like $2 bucks more per smoke. No thanks. I’m not a filter evangelist but for me, they are a game changer. I know of two presenters on YouTube who have said the same thing. Anyhoo, the musty taste at the bottom of the bowl is nasty so I’ll probably just just not smoke that pipe all the way to the bottom.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
I smoked cigarettes for years and never got tongue bite from them but cigars and pipes usually burn me at least a little. I looked into filt-pads but the price was just too high. Like $2 bucks more per smoke. No thanks. I’m not a filter evangelist but for me, they are a game changer. I know of two presenters on YouTube who have said the same thing. Anyhoo, the musty taste at the bottom of the bowl is nasty so I’ll probably just just not smoke that pipe all the way to the bottom.
Dear justifier:

I'm not saying a word. I am genuinely recommending a falcon pipe, however.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Musty Taste

Post by arank87 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm
Also, I see why the smoke is biting your tongue. Don't try to relight until everything is ashes. That's how you burn out your bowl. And fry your tongue. Sven learned that a long time ago.
Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
I smoked cigarettes for years and never got tongue bite from them but cigars and pipes usually burn me at least a little. I looked into filt-pads but the price was just too high. Like $2 bucks more per smoke. No thanks. I’m not a filter evangelist but for me, they are a game changer. I know of two presenters on YouTube who have said the same thing. Anyhoo, the musty taste at the bottom of the bowl is nasty so I’ll probably just just not smoke that pipe all the way to the bottom.
Dear justifier:

I'm not saying a word. I am genuinely recommending a falcon pipe, however.
I want one 😄 I read a thread recently where Goose’s idiosyncrasy was being called to task so I am not going to say anymore. 8)
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20613
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Musty Taste

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm


Not sure I understand. I relight whenever it goes out. :confused:
Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
I smoked cigarettes for years and never got tongue bite from them but cigars and pipes usually burn me at least a little. I looked into filt-pads but the price was just too high. Like $2 bucks more per smoke. No thanks. I’m not a filter evangelist but for me, they are a game changer. I know of two presenters on YouTube who have said the same thing. Anyhoo, the musty taste at the bottom of the bowl is nasty so I’ll probably just just not smoke that pipe all the way to the bottom.
Dear justifier:

I'm not saying a word. I am genuinely recommending a falcon pipe, however.
I want one 😄 I read a thread recently where Goose’s idiosyncrasy was being called to task so I am not going to say anymore. 8)
We all learn by experimentation.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: Musty Taste

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
arank87 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm


Dear confused:

New pipesmokers like to consume their tobacco until nothing but fine ash remains in the bowl. So do old pipe smokers, if we're being honest.

The difference is that old pipe smokers like to do this without relighting and are frankly surprised when this happens. Usually, the last half to eighth of an inch remains charred but unconsumed. Fact of life.

You see, when you reapply flame towards the bottom of the bowl, you're super-heating the remaining tobacco. When you draw on this firestorm, guess what happens to the smoke you're drawing in? It's hot, champ. As the redsticks said: good way burn-um tongue, also good way burnum peace pipe.

Your filter helps reduce the burn to your tongue, but not the damage to your pipe. Because wood burns, ya know?

No burn pipe. No burn tongue.
Ok, this makes sense. I do tend to relight too far down the bottom. However, I was burning my tongue very early in the bowl most of the time. It felt more like a reaction to the smoke then a burn. But, you’re advice sounds sage to me nonetheless.

I always smoke my snus first and then dip the ash and dottle.

Dear educablesmoker:

I see the problem. You do not have a chemistry background, for which I blame the public schools. They prepared you for the factory floor, then we moved the factory overseas. You want to add the ashes and dottle to new snus: this will up the free nicotine considerably. And probably give you a heart attack, but hey, live and learn, amirite? We never learn our limits until we test them, you know.

To pipe smoking, then. An immediate tingle on the tongue, you say? You know, body chemistry plays a part in all of this. Virginia flake is ultra cool and aristocratic, smoked by all shrewd judges. But it's also acidic as all get out, and some people are so sensitive it isn't funny. You might be a Burley man, despite the girly tongue. Dark strong Kentucky closes my throat and makes me wheeze. That's why they make different mixtures. You want to be Earl (Bertram) Russel. You might just be Cletus. It's ok. Find happiness.

Get thee a falcon pipe. They're awesome.

If all else fails, have you ever had a cigar?
Weirdly enough, Latakia blends seem to get me the most but since switching to filters I have 0 issues with it. It was basically all tobacco too. It was almost like a numbness. I like cigars but they’re so much more expensive and I just love pipe tobacco.
Dear masochist:

You're here for the burning, aren't you?

Seriously, I admire your moxie. If it instantly hurt me, I do not think I'd have stuck with it. I burned my tongue, do not mistake me, but for the usual reasons...too much tobacco, puffing too hard, etc. You are suffering chemical burns and sticking with it.

I'd be interested to learn if this goes away over time or you do. Unlike Goose's Philt-Pads, a porcelain prophylactic for poofters he quickly outgrew, you might actually need the filter.

I live and learn.
I smoked cigarettes for years and never got tongue bite from them but cigars and pipes usually burn me at least a little. I looked into filt-pads but the price was just too high. Like $2 bucks more per smoke. No thanks. I’m not a filter evangelist but for me, they are a game changer. I know of two presenters on YouTube who have said the same thing. Anyhoo, the musty taste at the bottom of the bowl is nasty so I’ll probably just just not smoke that pipe all the way to the bottom.
Dear justifier:

I'm not saying a word. I am genuinely recommending a falcon pipe, however.
I want one 😄 I read a thread recently where Goose’s idiosyncrasy was being called to task so I am not going to say anymore. 8)
We all learn by experimentation.
This exchange is awesome. Tongue bite goes away as calluses develop on your tongue. If you are a heavy smoker they should be shaved periodically. If you are fancy you can buy a tongue shaver but I just use an old block plane.

Image
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 17114
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Musty Taste

Post by gaining_age » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:32 am

Fascinating
Image
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Post Reply