Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia
Posts: 30284
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 pm

"Captain Bonespurs" :rotfl:
DL Jake

I can't wait to get into the Tobacco Fairy's shorts!! - John-Boy

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 8467
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

I can't claim credit for it, DL.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
WSerad
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by WSerad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:FWIW, tapatalk is the most clunky interface...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Isn’t it, though? And they want me to upgrade...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

User avatar
FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik
Posts: 23886
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm
In case anyone's wondering, and IF I did politics on CPS, I'd rate our current President somewhere between a used car salesman and a serial rapist.
I’m glad you have the wisdom and the restraint not to engage in politics here, Fred. I both applaud and share your choice.

I haven’t engaged in politics on CPS since the, “Who is the lesser of two evils?” days of 2016. And just like you I would never say such things here - except to state clearly what I would never say.

I’ll just repost your post, Fred. This is another, perhaps more convoluted form of what is called apophasis by rhetoricians.

Another example of a rhetorical device, strictly as rhetorical illustration, of course:

If Captain Bonespurs [notice the deliberate replacement of the name with a lighthearted label here] were to continue cozying up to a foreign leader who had paid a bounty for every brutally murdered American soldier after said Bonespurs knew this was happening, then that bone spur should be removed from office as expeditiously as possible.

This is known as antonomasia by rhetoricians, and quite ironically, it is the favored rhetorical device of Captain Bonespurs.

I mention this only as an exploration of rhetorical technique. Any relation to persons real or imagined is purely accidental, and in any event, I would never engage in politics here.
Thanks for taking the long 'round there. Or, as my dad would say, "taking the scenic route" to your point.








And by the way - - - I apologize if I offended any used car salesmen or serial rapists with my characterization.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6325
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Fainn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Apparently the 5th anniversary gift is wood.

Image
'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33624
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm
In case anyone's wondering, and IF I did politics on CPS, I'd rate our current President somewhere between a used car salesman and a serial rapist.
I’m glad you have the wisdom and the restraint not to engage in politics here, Fred. I both applaud and share your choice.

I haven’t engaged in politics on CPS since the, “Who is the lesser of two evils?” days of 2016. And just like you I would never say such things here - except to state clearly what I would never say.

I’ll just repost your post, Fred. This is another, perhaps more convoluted form of what is called apophasis by rhetoricians.

Another example of a rhetorical device, strictly as rhetorical illustration, of course:

If Captain Bonespurs [notice the deliberate replacement of the name with a lighthearted label here] were to continue cozying up to a foreign leader who had paid a bounty for every brutally murdered American soldier after said Bonespurs knew this was happening, then that bone spur should be removed from office as expeditiously as possible.

This is known as antonomasia by rhetoricians, and quite ironically, it is the favored rhetorical device of Captain Bonespurs.

I mention this only as an exploration of rhetorical technique. Any relation to persons real or imagined is purely accidental, and in any event, I would never engage in politics here.
Thanks for taking the long 'round there. Or, as my dad would say, "taking the scenic route" to your point.








And by the way - - - I apologize if I offended any used car salesmen or serial rapists with my characterization.
If this stuff was actually posted, I would probably post something about "Cereal rappists". And maybe some made up diddy about Jammin' on Cheerios or something. I'm glad we don't have to go there. Well done, men.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 8467
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:16 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm
In case anyone's wondering, and IF I did politics on CPS, I'd rate our current President somewhere between a used car salesman and a serial rapist.
I’m glad you have the wisdom and the restraint not to engage in politics here, Fred. I both applaud and share your choice.

I haven’t engaged in politics on CPS since the, “Who is the lesser of two evils?” days of 2016. And just like you I would never say such things here - except to state clearly what I would never say.

I’ll just repost your post, Fred. This is another, perhaps more convoluted form of what is called apophasis by rhetoricians.

Another example of a rhetorical device, strictly as rhetorical illustration, of course:

If Captain Bonespurs [notice the deliberate replacement of the name with a lighthearted label here] were to continue cozying up to a foreign leader who had paid a bounty for every brutally murdered American soldier after said Bonespurs knew this was happening, then that bone spur should be removed from office as expeditiously as possible.

This is known as antonomasia by rhetoricians, and quite ironically, it is the favored rhetorical device of Captain Bonespurs.

I mention this only as an exploration of rhetorical technique. Any relation to persons real or imagined is purely accidental, and in any event, I would never engage in politics here.
Thanks for taking the long 'round there. Or, as my dad would say, "taking the scenic route" to your point.








And by the way - - - I apologize if I offended any used car salesmen or serial rapists with my characterization.
If this stuff was actually posted, I would probably post something about "Cereal rappists". And maybe some made up diddy about Jammin' on Cheerios or something. I'm glad we don't have to go there. Well done, men.

Madison Avenue went there for you, John-Boy.

Cereal rappist:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Benton629
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:51 pm
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Benton629 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm

I tested negative for COVID-19 yesterday and had meatball stew for supper tonight.
I bought 2 pocketknives this week and also some sharpening tools.

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 8467
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Benton629 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm
I tested negative for COVID-19 yesterday and had meatball stew for supper tonight.
I bought 2 pocketknives this week and also some sharpening tools.
Sounds like you’re having a good week, Benton.
Always nice to hear, what with 2020 being what it is.

I think I’d have to say the same.
Pretty good week here as well.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef
Posts: 4137
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm

I signed up for Parler. I haven't decided yet if I like it. It seems to be Facebook-style posts with a Twitter-style feed. At this point, I suspect I'll look at it occasionally and not actually use it much (kind of how I use MeWe, Instagram, and Twitter). You can find me at @Mooseblw023 if you're interested, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect to find me posting anything.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
AnungUnRama
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am
Location: The armpit of the midwest

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm

I do not get the headless guitar trend.

That said, Ned Steinberger was way ahead of his time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6325
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Fainn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm
I do not get the headless guitar trend.

That said, Ned Steinberger was way ahead of his time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I hate headless guitars. Especially the weird travel electrics.
'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

User avatar
JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Posts: 25625
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm
I signed up for Parler. I haven't decided yet if I like it. It seems to be Facebook-style posts with a Twitter-style feed. At this point, I suspect I'll look at it occasionally and not actually use it much (kind of how I use MeWe, Instagram, and Twitter). You can find me at @Mooseblw023 if you're interested, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect to find me posting anything.
@JimVH

Crazy screen name, huh.

I don’t know how long I’ll last there.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket
Posts: 4696
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am

Last night in south College Station two people were shot dead. They were shooting at each other. Nice neighborhood, two blocks from where my boss lives.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

User avatar
hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack
Posts: 22333
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am
Last night in south College Station two people were shot dead. They were shooting at each other. Nice neighborhood, two blocks from where my boss lives.
Was it a duel?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket
Posts: 4696
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am
Last night in south College Station two people were shot dead. They were shooting at each other. Nice neighborhood, two blocks from where my boss lives.
Was it a duel?
Waiting to hear. There are pictures of a couple yards taped off with crime scene tape. Might have been neighbors.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 27624
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:06 pm

My mom's Margaret Hudson Bear planter Image took a direct hit when soffit over the patio collapsed, busting off the two hind paws. I found one of the paws but the other was lost somewhere under the rubble.
I didn't want to lose it when the workmen come to clean up the scene so I mounted a search and recovery mission, prying up sections of the stucco covered lath using long steel bars.

With considerable effort, I found the errant bear paw so now it's up to the Margaret Hudson critter mother ship to exercise their restorative powers on ol' ursus.
Not that you'd care.
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6325
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm

I hope to buy a saw tomorrow.
'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 31191
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by coco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
I hope to buy a saw tomorrow.
:?:
Image
Image
Image
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6325
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
I hope to buy a saw tomorrow.
:?:
Image
Image
Image
Top right.
'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

Post Reply