Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 pm

"Captain Bonespurs" :rotfl:
DL Jake

I can't wait to get into the Tobacco Fairy's shorts!! - John-Boy

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

I can't claim credit for it, DL.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:FWIW, tapatalk is the most clunky interface...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Isn’t it, though? And they want me to upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm
In case anyone's wondering, and IF I did politics on CPS, I'd rate our current President somewhere between a used car salesman and a serial rapist.
I’m glad you have the wisdom and the restraint not to engage in politics here, Fred. I both applaud and share your choice.

I haven’t engaged in politics on CPS since the, “Who is the lesser of two evils?” days of 2016. And just like you I would never say such things here - except to state clearly what I would never say.

I’ll just repost your post, Fred. This is another, perhaps more convoluted form of what is called apophasis by rhetoricians.

Another example of a rhetorical device, strictly as rhetorical illustration, of course:

If Captain Bonespurs [notice the deliberate replacement of the name with a lighthearted label here] were to continue cozying up to a foreign leader who had paid a bounty for every brutally murdered American soldier after said Bonespurs knew this was happening, then that bone spur should be removed from office as expeditiously as possible.

This is known as antonomasia by rhetoricians, and quite ironically, it is the favored rhetorical device of Captain Bonespurs.

I mention this only as an exploration of rhetorical technique. Any relation to persons real or imagined is purely accidental, and in any event, I would never engage in politics here.
Thanks for taking the long 'round there. Or, as my dad would say, "taking the scenic route" to your point.

And by the way - - - I apologize if I offended any used car salesmen or serial rapists with my characterization.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Apparently the 5th anniversary gift is wood.

'You, sir, are a Japanese Eggplant."
----AFRS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:
In case anyone's wondering, and IF I did politics on CPS, I'd rate our current President somewhere between a used car salesman and a serial rapist.
I’m glad you have the wisdom and the restraint not to engage in politics here, Fred. I both applaud and share your choice.

I haven’t engaged in politics on CPS since the, “Who is the lesser of two evils?” days of 2016. And just like you I would never say such things here - except to state clearly what I would never say.

I’ll just repost your post, Fred. This is another, perhaps more convoluted form of what is called apophasis by rhetoricians.

Another example of a rhetorical device, strictly as rhetorical illustration, of course:

If Captain Bonespurs [notice the deliberate replacement of the name with a lighthearted label here] were to continue cozying up to a foreign leader who had paid a bounty for every brutally murdered American soldier after said Bonespurs knew this was happening, then that bone spur should be removed from office as expeditiously as possible.

This is known as antonomasia by rhetoricians, and quite ironically, it is the favored rhetorical device of Captain Bonespurs.

I mention this only as an exploration of rhetorical technique. Any relation to persons real or imagined is purely accidental, and in any event, I would never engage in politics here.
Thanks for taking the long 'round there. Or, as my dad would say, "taking the scenic route" to your point.

And by the way - - - I apologize if I offended any used car salesmen or serial rapists with my characterization.
If this stuff was actually posted, I would probably post something about "Cereal rappists". And maybe some made up diddy about Jammin' on Cheerios or something. I'm glad we don't have to go there. Well done, men.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:16 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
FredS wrote:

If this stuff was actually posted, I would probably post something about "Cereal rappists". And maybe some made up diddy about Jammin' on Cheerios or something. I'm glad we don't have to go there. Well done, men.

Madison Avenue went there for you, John-Boy.

Cereal rappist:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Benton629
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benton629 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm

I tested negative for COVID-19 yesterday and had meatball stew for supper tonight.
I bought 2 pocketknives this week and also some sharpening tools.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Benton629 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm
I tested negative for COVID-19 yesterday and had meatball stew for supper tonight.
I bought 2 pocketknives this week and also some sharpening tools.
Sounds like you’re having a good week, Benton.
Always nice to hear, what with 2020 being what it is.

I think I’d have to say the same.
Pretty good week here as well.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm

I signed up for Parler. I haven't decided yet if I like it. It seems to be Facebook-style posts with a Twitter-style feed. At this point, I suspect I'll look at it occasionally and not actually use it much (kind of how I use MeWe, Instagram, and Twitter). You can find me at @Mooseblw023 if you're interested, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect to find me posting anything.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

AnungUnRama
Pastor
Pastor

Post by AnungUnRama » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm

I do not get the headless guitar trend.

That said, Ned Steinberger was way ahead of his time.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm
I do not get the headless guitar trend.

That said, Ned Steinberger was way ahead of his time.

I hate headless guitars. Especially the weird travel electrics.
----AFRS

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm
I signed up for Parler. I haven't decided yet if I like it. It seems to be Facebook-style posts with a Twitter-style feed. At this point, I suspect I'll look at it occasionally and not actually use it much (kind of how I use MeWe, Instagram, and Twitter). You can find me at @Mooseblw023 if you're interested, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect to find me posting anything.
@JimVH

Crazy screen name, huh.

I don’t know how long I’ll last there.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am

Last night in south College Station two people were shot dead. They were shooting at each other. Nice neighborhood, two blocks from where my boss lives.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am
Last night in south College Station two people were shot dead. They were shooting at each other. Nice neighborhood, two blocks from where my boss lives.
Was it a duel?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am
Was it a duel?
Waiting to hear. There are pictures of a couple yards taped off with crime scene tape. Might have been neighbors.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:06 pm

My mom's Margaret Hudson Bear planter Image took a direct hit when soffit over the patio collapsed, busting off the two hind paws. I found one of the paws but the other was lost somewhere under the rubble.
I didn't want to lose it when the workmen come to clean up the scene so I mounted a search and recovery mission, prying up sections of the stucco covered lath using long steel bars.

With considerable effort, I found the errant bear paw so now it's up to the Margaret Hudson critter mother ship to exercise their restorative powers on ol' ursus.
Not that you'd care.
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm

I hope to buy a saw tomorrow.
----AFRS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
:?:
"I call [coco] 'barely passable heretic.'" - HugoDrax

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
:?: