Pipe/Tobacco storage and travel (two part question)...

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
INSilverado
Usher
Usher

Pipe/Tobacco storage and travel (two part question)...

Post by INSilverado » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:58 am

How do all of you store your pipes and tobacco? Having just began smoking a pipe within the past few days, my 2 ounces of tobacco are stored in a Lock N Lock container (similiar to tupperware) and my pipe is just laid on my nightstand. I figure I'll pick up another pipe or two and more tobacco within the next few months, so was wondering what everyone else does.

Also, I'm looking for a small leather tobacco pouch/pipe case to carry in my bird hunting vest. Any suggestions for carrying a few ounces of tobacco and one pipe?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Proud member of the TRI STATE PIPE AND TOBACCO CLUB

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:37 am

Check out eBay for pipe racks. I got a rack that holds 12 pipes for $3.00 last year and I need to get another one soon. New racks aren't too expensive either. They can start around $30 and go as high as you can imagine. I keep my tobacco in small glass jars from walmart that hold about 8oz. of tobacco.

They make the leather bags/pouches you're looking for and most of the internet places sell them. Check outhttp://www.cupojoes.com or http://www.smokingpipes.com under the accessories and see what they've got.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 am

The tupperware container is not bad but ideally use a jar, should be able to get canning jars cheap this time of year. Plastics while great at containing moisture are permeable to the non-polar compound which tend to make up a large portion of the aroma and flavor constituents so after extended storage in such containers you'll find the tobacco becoming a little flat. (Though how long it takes depends on type of plastic, thickness, temp. etc). Its fine for a blend you are actively smoking but for extended storage not the best thing.

You can see/smell this permeability in action, if you have ever stored a food in tupperware and the tupperware smells of this food even after several washes.

As for the pipe personally I made a makeshift rack and storage case from empty cigar bokes, though you can get a true rack relatively cheaply (or make your own if handy). A rack is very useful if your collection grows to more than a couple of pipes.

I know our own sysiphus is working on making CPS leather pouches. I'd pm to see if possible to get in on the order. (Though I am curious as to the status). I use a simple plaid fold over that has an additional pocket to store a pipe tool and matches, for use in my car. Though unless using a pouch moistener/humidifier tobacco will dry out in a day or two.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

RenaissanceGuy
Minister of Tackles
Minister of Tackles

Post by RenaissanceGuy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:23 pm

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." C.S. Lewis

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:53 am

I use a 6 pipe rack with glass jar I got off Ebay last year. Came with some estate pipes that I cleaned up including a very nice vintage Peterson. Kept the Peterson and resold the others for more than what I paid.

For out and about I use a leather zip up bag that holds 2 pipes and some side storage for my cleaners, tamper and lighter. Came with a tobacco pouch as well. Works well and only cost me 20 bucks at the local shop.

For tobacco storage I use a glass jar for pouches and bulk and a tupperware container for my tins.

INSilverado
Usher
Usher

Post by INSilverado » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am

Bringing this back up again...

Thanks for the input fellas. I had picked up a few more samples of tobacco and wanted a way to store it all, so I picked up some small glass cannisters from Wal-Mart. Should do the trick nicely. Now I think I'm going to make a small box or something to store my pipe and accessories...

misterbeach
This thread sucks, Andrew.
This thread sucks, Andrew.

Post by misterbeach » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:33 pm

I have one of those little vinyl roll-ups and it works great for carrying around an ounce or two for a couple weeks.

AmericanHussar
Elder
Elder

Post by AmericanHussar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:49 pm

I enjoy using things meant for other uses for my pipe habit. Kinda the same mentality for why I like estate pipes. Anyway....

I picked up an old wall-mount spice rack at the Goodwill outlet for a buck. It should hold my stash of new pipes rather well.

I have been using the plastic baggies the weed comes in, when you order it. But I have been saving all my old glass peanut butter & jelly jars to store my tobacco in. Those were obviously free.

Also at the good will store, I picked up an old camera bag. It will hold a couple pipes and some tobacco, but I'm not sure I just want to dump it in the bag, so I may just keep it in the plastic inside the camera bag. I also have an old cigar box I have been storing stuff in.

I'll post some photos of all this stuff.

INSilverado
Usher
Usher

Post by INSilverado » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:29 pm

AmericanHussar wrote:I'll post some photos of all this stuff.
Sweet.

P
Congregation
Congregation

Smoking Holsters

Post by P » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 am

Check out Neil's work...He even has one for the compact nose warmer...Just ordered a 2/4 and can't wait to get it...

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:03 am

I've got an eighteen pipe rack that I use for my regular rotation. Others are found at various spots in the house. All tobacco is kept in canning jars.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:50 pm

I keep all my pipes in a curio cabinet and my tobacco in the same jars with the vinyl seal you bought from Walmart and some bulk tobaccos that I smoke more frequently in large walmart rubber gasket bail top jars. As for pipe and tobacco carrying cases, Castleford makes inexpensive all leather cases of various sizes as does Jobey. That's a good looking pipe, btw.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

morefifemusicanyone
Congregation
Congregation

Post by morefifemusicanyone » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:35 pm

I prefer canning jars for storage. I wax seal the ones I am going to age. Those gasket jars will work for temporary storage, but for long term storage I have read you are better off with canning jars.

Pipe storage, I have a round pipe rack that holds twelve pipes and I have begun work on fabricating my own out of pvc pipe. I like it because it is cheap and expandable.

I costed out a 20 pipe rack at 15 bucks, which is better than I could do on ebay and better than I could do with wood as it requires access to more tools than the pvc.

Here is a pic of the mock up (haven't had time to finish it with the school year and all).